ten.

May 9, 2022

Election day has begun, and the entire country is busy casting ballots for their worthy candidate who would lead the Philippines' development to better effectiveness and health for all Filipinos. The information was self-explanatory, indicating that Leni was confident and brave enough to face the aftermath of what might happen after the elections.

Lord has already planned her fated route for her destiny, and she will accept it otherwise. She prayed for Filipinos to vote for their team, which included her running companion, Kiko Pangilinan, and senate candidates who backed her and showed the nation that they are deserving of the leadership.

But, rather than focusing on her duties, a certain senatorial aspirant, her friend—if that is how she would label their current status—has been lingering on her mind. She wondered where she had the courage to invite Risa to dinner tonight. But there was no turning back this time; she needed to confess to Risa before the election results were announced.

Not a romantic confession, but one in which she will clarify her point of view once and for all to dispel Risa's doubts about whether something is destined for them. Her misgivings and guilts couldn't comprehend how visibly upset she was at herself, and she was ready to tell it all. It would be ironic if she were elected president but lacked the confidence to admit her mistakes to a specific person.

✎...

The two public officials ate dinner at a private space that Leni self-decorated and planned for Risa. She made sure there were no paparazzi or anyone insight to properly confess. Risa arrived earlier than she expected, and that made it better and quicker. Cause she knew the night will end with cries filling up the area.

"Thank you Leni for this extravagant preparation, talaga naghanda ng todo." Risa complimented Leni's effort and the time that she spent despite how busy the vice president was, it softened her heart. "Wala lang 'yan, nothing surprising. Kain muna tayo?" Leni initiated to eat first before she bursts into tears later.

The only sounds that filled the atmosphere were chewing, heavy breathing, and utensil clanks. That was alright because they were engaged with the tasty, well-prepared supper Leni had prepared. After they had finished their meals, Leni extended her hand and asked, "Samahan mo ako?" Risa didn't hesitate, intertwining their hands and wandering around the area.

They were outside, the fresh air obscuring the evening sky, and Leni turned to face Risa, who was gazing at the stars overhead. The conversation was started by her, "May gusto akong sabihin sa'yo at hindi na ako magpapaligoy-ligoy pa." Risa faced her and raised her eyebrows which led to confusion.

"Sa loob ng 39 years ay tinatago ko ang kinikimkim kong kasuklamaan sa aking sarili, Risa. Hindi ko na kinakaya dahil namumuo na lahat ng pagsisisi ko sa ginawa ko sa'yo. Please give me a chance to explain—"

"I know where this will lead, please I'm over it. If you are going to apologize, you're forgiven—"

"Huwag mo'kong pinangungunahan, Risa. Let me properly explain my side and please listen to me carefully." Risa doesn't want to hear any of it, but she complies with Leni's plead, so this night can end eventually. She remains silent, bothered by what Leni has to say next.

"Remember our call during New Year? I said something before I hanged up, and I mean it."

✎...

January 2, 1983

"Leni anak, sino 'tong Risa?"

Leonor paused in position; her mother might know what was going on between them, but she didn't need to be alarmed because there was no malice. "Bakit po ma?" She still didn't articulate what Theresia was to her. "Wala, sagutin mo lang tanong ko, sino si Risa?" Her body shivered as she heard her mother's question, once more asking about Risa. Sabihin mo na lang kasi kaibigan mo.