CHAPTER 6 - TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

"Do you, Lucius Abraxas Malfoy, take Sarah to be your lawfully wedded wife, by order of the ministry?"

Lucius smirks, making the anger rise in me.

"I do," he says, sliding the ring on my finger. It was much like the one Theo had given me, except instead of many emeralds placed in the band, there was a large dark green crystal in the middle trapped by two vines on either side, shining glamorously.

"And do you, Sarah Elora Salvatore, take Lucius to be your lawfully wedded husband, by order of the ministry?"

I take a deep breath, the pressure of everyone's eyes on me. "I do."

I slide the ring on his finger, regretting the action as soon as I do it.

"Then, by the magic vested in me and the entirety of the ministry, I pronounce you man and wife."

Everyone cheers from their seats, many people are stood up and clapping, some are crying with joy. I notice my mum and dad, smiling as they wipe their tears away.

"Lucius," the minister says softly. We both turn to look at him. "You may kiss your bride."

And then I realise - the part I had been dreading most has arrived.

There was a canvas before us, propped up on an easel. It had been set up with magic, and was waiting for the moment it could capture and keep forever using the paint that was dripping from the brush.

Lucius looks at me, and I open my mouth to come up with an excuse when he pulls me into his arms with one swift motion, pressing his lips to mine. The crowd erupts with excitement, and I know there's nothing I can do but play along.

From the corner of my eye, I see the paintbrush gliding along the canvas rapidly, recreating the scene before it.

I kiss him back softly, trying to pull away discreetly but he doesn't let me, holding my waist tightly as I feel his tongue enter my mouth. I clutch the fabric on his chest, squeezing it for a moment to let him know I want out and he obliges, finally pulling away with a smirk.

I gulp, smiling to the crowd as I feel another flash of the camera, making me blink in surprise. Then, two doves swoop down, flitting in front of us. They carry a piece of paper between them with their beaks, holding it out for us. I glance at the document curiously, reading the print.

It was a marriage certificate.

I look to Lucius and he's already pulling a pen from his pocket, signing the paper at the bottom. He looks at me with a smirk, offering me the pen but I don't take it.

"What are you waiting for, darling?"

I cringe, immediately sensing the venom hidden in his voice.

I take the pen, signing my name at the bottom of the paper, next to his. I watch as the silver ink of the letters melt together with Lucius's signature and we step aside as the minister comes between us, signing his name as the director of the ceremony. As he steps back, the paper bursts into a big puff of glitter.

"And it is done," the minister states as he puts his pen back in the pocket of his robes, stepping down from the platform and congratulating us, speaking to Lucius for a moment about work.

"Fudge, I really think-"

"No, I don't want you worrying about it. You've been married 5 seconds, for merlin's sake." He laughs and Lucius smirks. "Now, my instructions are clear. You have the week off of work to spend with your beautiful new wife," he turns to me and I smile, trying to listen in.

"I don't expect to see you at the ministry. And I swear by Merlin, Lucius, if I do see you I will personally escort you out."

I chuckle, Lucius smiling as the minister turns to me. "I beg you Sarah, tell your husband to relax this week. Lord knows, all he does is work and never takes a break."