CHAPTER 42 - AVENGED

"Aww I love it Milly, it's so sweet. Thank you," I say, admiring the hand knitted baby jumper once more before hugging Milly tight.

I slowly feel the soft wool in my fingers as I trace the words "Baby Malfoy" on the jumper, smiling in fascination.

"He really will love this," I say and Milly smiles happily. "I'm glad you like it Miss."

I smile back, laying down the jumper and folding it. We sit cross legged, in front of the fireplace in an attempt to warm ourselves up.

As I place the jumper beside me, Milly notices the number on my arm, her smile fading and her eyes dimming lightly. I notice immediately, looking to her with worry, "What is it, Milly?"

"Your number..." she says, quietly. "Does it still hurt?"

I sigh, looking at the number on my arm in silence. "Well, they were hexed to bring pain to whichever witch or wizard ever received one," I say softly, a tiny throb on my skin as I speak. "But it doesn't hurt as much as before."

She nods solemnly, and I can see she is upset by my words.

"Milly?"

"Yes, Miss?"

I ponder for a moment, remembering my time in Azkaban. "Do you know the reason Lucius killed Fenrir?"

Instantly, her eyes widen, and she looks away awkwardly, avoiding my eye. "I really should not speak on such matters, Miss. and Master Malfoy was already proven innocent of-"

"Oh come on, Milly. You and I both know my husband killed that man," I say and she watches me in panic.

"But I never knew the reason why. That's what I want to know."

She coughs, turning her attention to her hands as they shake a little, her nerves getting the better of her. "My apologies, but I am forbidden to speak on this matter with you, Miss."

"Milly, I went to Azkaban for him, was marked for life, suffered in a cell for three nights all whilst carrying his child," I tell her calmly. "The least I deserve is to know why he committed such a crime."

Milly folds at my words, glancing at the pain in my eyes for a moment.

"Well, Master was... angry." She tells me, her eyes squinting as she tries to remember. "I have never seen him in such a state. He asked me to look after you and then he left so abruptly. When he returned, he was smothered in blood."

"Yes, I remember that," I say, the events of that night replaying in my mind.

"Then what happened?"

Milly takes a deep breath, shaking a little more. "All I can say is that Mr Greyback took an innocent life. And the life he took had upset a lot of people. Especially one above all, who Master Malfoy cares for a lot."

I think hard on Millys words, trying to piece together her little puzzle.

I understand that Lucius killed him because he had taken an innocent life.

But who did Fenrir kill?

"Milly, I really don't-"

Suddenly, it dawns on me.

Like a wave crashing down upon me.

"Oh my god..." I whisper, praying to god I was wrong. But when I look Milly in the eye, I have the utmost, heart wrenching feeling that I was perfectly right.

"No, it can't be. He was sick..." I recall the haunting memory of him laid in that godawful hospital, his face beaten and the look of sorrow in his eyes before they closed forever.