CHAPTER 34 - A HAUNTED MIND

Lucius enters the room, quietly as not to wake anyone up. He notices Sarah asleep in the bed, her whole body turned towards the baby in the cot beside her. Her hand rests inside the baby basket, their son cuddling up to her palm as he sleeps soundly. He notices Draco is fast asleep too, leaning back in his chair, snoring softly.

He looks between them, thinking deeply about the hatred they both had for him. Draco, his own son, hated him more than anything. He never saw Lucius as a father, he always saw him more like his boss. Someone who told him what to do all the time, how to act, how to speak. Lucius saw this in his thoughts all the time.

And Sarah... well she was something else entirely.

She would go to Azkaban for him, fight against aurors for him, have his baby, and yet she could never bring herself to care for the man. After everything they had been through and Lucius knew she still wanted nothing to do with him.

It was heartbreaking at times.

At times when Lucius felt he had no one. He was alone in this cruel world. Where his wife and son were better off without him. Where he stood between a woman and her true love, stopping them from ever being happy together.

He just felt... out of place.

But after all, he still had his baby. A baby he would cherish and make sure to protect. No matter what.

Lucius goes to the cot, glancing down at his son once more. He stirs awake, his eyes falling upon his father instantly. He starts to cry, Lucius swiftly picking him up before he can wake his tired mother.

"Hey," Lucius says softly, rocking the baby in his arms before holding him close to his chest, his tiny head resting under his chin. "None of that. Not whilst your mother is sleeping."

He glances at Sarah as she stirs, leaning back against her pillow as she breathes softly, her chest rising and falling. Lucius knew she was most at peace when she slept. He had heard her thoughts - sleep was like an escape from reality for her.

It's the main reason he didn't want to wake her up.

He looks back at his baby, smirking as he gently touches his cheek, his sons large eyes, following him around. "Go back to sleep, son." He says, in his deep voice, making sure not to be too loud.

"Lucius?"

Sarah calls out, sitting up as she wakes, looking around. "What is it? Is he alright?"

"He's fine," Lucius assures her. "Just a bit fussy."

She nods, looking at their son in his arms.

"Why are you here?" She asks, watching him curiously.

"I came to check on you all," Lucius replies blankly.

"You've been sleeping for hours."

Sarah glares at him, and Lucius can see the fury in her eyes. "How many times have I made it clear that I don't need you? Or your protection." She snarls and Lucius stays silent, his eyes on hers the whole time.

"If anything, you're the one I need protection from."

Lucius is hurt by her words, looking down at the ground for a moment. And in this moment, he realises.

She had lost her father because of him. Her mother wanted nothing to do with the name of Malfoy and she was stuck in a marriage she never wanted, bearing his child when the whole time she was in love with someone else.

He had snatched away her dreams of ever having a truly happy life.

So why would she ever consider him..?