chapter two

Hyunjin hadn't slept a blink. The sharp bulbs of the police station pierced painfully through his exhausted eyes. He clearly tried to keep them open as he waited.

He was still slightly hungover from that party and his bruised knees required medical attention. But Hyunjin was not in the mind to leave those cold metal chairs until he heard from his friend.

The sounds of people around him were strangely loud and clear as he tried to stabilize his breathing. He wanted to muffle their voices, and the voice in his head that went 'it was your fault.'

"Hyunjin!" A sharp voice called out. Hyunjin could barely register the three people entering the station but he knew with some certainty that they were his friends whom he had called.

Hyunjin had no idea what he managed to get through those brief phone calls, as they were mostly just Hyunjin tearing up and trying to catch his breath but Han, Felix and Chan definitely got the hang of it as they promised to arrive as soon as possible,

Felix and Jisung looked as though they had just been coming from that wretched party, while Chan had just put a trench coat over his pajamas. Etched upon their features were mixed emotions of worry, concern, pity and many more.

Letting a choked sob escape him, Hyunjin suddenly felt the ground giving up beneath him as his knees threatened to fail. Before he could, however, his friends were by his sides helping him on his feet.

"It's ok take a deep breath," advised Chan while Felix gave him comforting pats.

"Where's Seungmin?" Jisung blurted out. Hyunjin couldn't see them but he was sure the two Aussies probably threw a warning look to shut up Jisung.

But what was said was said. Hyunjin felt himself asking again and again the exact same question.

Where was Seungmin?

"Excuse me but which one of you is Hwang Hyunjin?" Someone enquired. Without glancing up, the said boy raised his hand.

"And you were," the voice continued, "the one filing a complaint on your missing friend?"

Again, Hyunjin could only nod. "Right, so if you would accompany me to the inspector's office, we're gonna need more information than that kiddo."

Chan and Felix guided him to the room, all in silence. They hadn't questioned him all the while and did not interrupt him when he called. Hyunjin was grateful for that. If he was going to retell the events of the night in detail, he was going to do it only once.

The inspector was, as one would expect, a round, old man with an experienced and calming aura. A very cliché appearance and given any normal day, Hyunjin would have made a joke on it. But now was not the time.

The inspector didn't talk much and just asked Hyunjin to tell all he could remember. And so Hyunjin started.

It was like a dam let loose and he was thankful that no one stopped him. He could still feel the images appear in his mind as he re-told everything. From entering that cursed building to the mysterious figure and how his friend was nowhere to be seen. He hoped that letting it all out would make him feel somewhat more free because he was sure he cannot handle the guilt for long.

When he finished, his throat felt parched as his mind buzzed around with incoherent thoughts. The rest of the interrogation seemed hazy and muffled as Chan took over with the formalities whilst Jisung and Lix murmured consoling words to him.

The trio had stepped out of the extremely stuffy and suffocating station into the cold autumn night. Han was doing a somewhat decent job of momentarily distracting Hyunjin from all the chaos when Chan joined them.

"The police say this could be a very simple case of kidnapping, reasons unknown nonetheless, so all they can do is send a notice for him and watch out for him. Or await a ransom call." He had muttered the last sentence as if it would sound less harsh if he quickly brushed through it.

Hyunjin then spoke out. "Thanks guys, for turning up at an unreasonable hour and for everything," he vaguely gestured with his hands. Felix effectively silenced him with a bone-crushing hug, Jisung and Chan joining into the group hug.

"It's okay Hyunnie, Minnie is our friend and you are too, we will always be together and help you out!" Felix chirped.

Hyunjin for the umpteenth time that night felt his eyes water but this time because of the overwhelming kindness.

"And on that note you are welcome to stay with me and Lix for the time being," Jisung suggested. Hyunjin decided to take up on that offer.

He would not be able to enter his own dorm without being pained by the lack of the usual 'Jinnie you forgot to clear out your painting supplies again!' from Seungmin.

"Yes. That would be great, thanks." He breathed out.

"I'll bring all your stuff in the morning, okay? For now go and rest, you'd need it. And hopefully we'll get positive news tomorrow." Chan tried cheering him up as they bid goodbye.

Hope, Hyunjin did. But he couldn't sleep.

He stared hard at the stars who were blinking down on him, almost tauntingly. He felt anger boiling up inside him and since he had no one to blame he was willing to lash it upon anyone and anything around him.

After an eternity of shedding silent tears, soaking his pillow, and shifting around the camp bed that Jisung had set up for him, he finally fell into a deep and dreamless slumber.