chapter four

As Hyunjin unwrapped himself from the cocoon of blankets surrounding him, he noticed the faint light from outside, peeking through the curtains. Birds loudly chirping from outside could be heard through the open window. Hyunjin sleepily figured that it must be very early and decided he would call off another day at college. He knows he has class work and finals to deal with but he has more pressing matters at hand.

Beside Jisung and Felix's soft snores, albeit Jisung not so soft, he could faintly hear Chan talking in the background.

Ever the curious cat, Hyunjin peeled the numerous sheets of him and gently tiptoed around the room, careful not to step on any of his friends' limbs, and hopped along the cold flooring towards the sound.

Poking his head in Chan's room, he found the older one talking on the phone in a serious tone, his eyebrows furrowed.

Chan must have noticed Hyunjin's head hovering around the doorway as he beckoned him inside. Cautious not to make much sound, Hyunjin sat beside Chan as he tried to hear the conversation.

At last, he wrapped up the call and set his phone down.

"Yes sir, I will inform him. Thanks again."

Hyunjin questioned him about it.

Chan was quiet for a bit before he started.

"The police have got a few hints on where Seungmin might be, but they require more evidence. Apparently all you told wasn't very believable. I mean that it wasn't enough for them to start a hunt for him!" He had to slightly raise his voice towards the end as Hyunjin was visibly swelling with anger.

"I saw my only friend of more than ten years, be attacked right in front of me!"

Hyunjin spat, his tone dripping with sarcasm, "If that isn't enough evidence, what should I do? Go ask Seungmin for a handwritten testimony that he is indeed in danger?"

"Actually that seems like quite a nice idea. Ask him to add a detailed graphic design on the attack for good measure, he majors in graphic arts after all."

Hyunjin snapped his head towards the doorway to find Jisung's amused, lazy smile as he said so. Behind him, Chan gave a soft laugh at that and even Felix, who had just woken up, giggled.

Hyunjin sighed in resignation. He should not be getting so tetchy in small matters. Chan was right, he didn't have much proof on his part. But he still hoped that a very (absolutely very) late Christmas miracle would save him.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Still with all the prep talk, nothing could have warned him against this.

The officer cast a wary look at Hyunjin, now aware of his violent abilities, as he dismissed Seungmin's missing case. He finally added salt to Hyunjin's wound when he said, "Until and unless we get good evidence we can't go look for him, sorry kiddo."

Hyunjin didn't know what took over him but he stormed out the station, leaving behind the officers, his friends and the truth.

He didn't take the way to Jisung and Felix's dorm but towards his and Seungmin's own.

The dorm looked just like it did two nights ago, with the books jumbled and numerous of Hyunjin's jackets lying around as he finally decided to wear one of Seungmin's to the party.

He looked around hopefully, almost as if his friend would call out with a 'Put your muddy shoes on the rack Hyunjin! I'm not spending all weekend scrubbing the rug!"

He collapsed on top of Seungmin's beloved rug as the clock kept ticking away. He had no idea how long he stayed that way but it had been quite sometime, as the sky outside darkened rapidly. His mind was still a mess of fogged memories.

Sluggishly, Hyunjin switched on his speakers. He usually plays them when he works on a new sketch. His playlist, consisting of ballads and soft songs, played one of Seungmin's official solos.

Hearing his singer's melodious vocals trickling through the sound system Hyunjin felt the adrenaline shoot through his veins.

All his thoughts focused on one.

He was going to find Seungmin if it was the last thing he'd do.