hurtful pasts

it had been several days since the trios return from London and Tommy had not seen much of his two children. Thea was 'busy' doing god knows what and Aaron and been spending a lot of time with his uncles, Tommys brothers which frankly scared him more that not knowing what Thea was up to. polly still insisted the girl needed time to see that they did truly care for her, Tommy on the other hand thought it was through actions that would make her realise. he just had no idea action what to start with.

it was late one night, Tommy had been slowly making his way through the piles of paperwork mounted on his desk. Aaron was out at the garrison with John and Arthur and Thomas presumed Thea was in her room, though he had not in fact seen her that day. he could feel himself starting to nod off at around two when a knock sounded on the front door. Tommy slowly made his way out of the office but just as he reached for the handle someone else answered the front door. "what the fuck Aaron" it was Thea who'd answered the door to her clearly drunk brother. he just laughed as she guided his towards the kitchen table and sat him down. Tommy was stood in the shadows of the living room, far enough away that they couldn't see him but he could hear and see everything. he watched her set a glass of water in front of her brother and then moved to take off his wet jacket. "why don't you like it here?" he asked her lazily looking up at his sister with half shut eyes as she put the kettle on. she was only waring a thin robe ada had given her claiming it didn't fit the older girl anymore. in fact the truth was ada had bought it for Thea but Tommy informed his sister that the girl wouldn't except any new clothes so decided on telling her they were hand me downs instead. ada was ecstatic when she thought she had outwitted the small girl into accepting a gift from them but tom knew it would take much more than Adas white lies to trick the Shelby daughter. when Thea didn't answer Aarons he spoke again, feeling his anger rising inside himself at her coldness "well I like it here! and you're ruining it for me" all that got out of her was a sigh. "ada said you didn't eat dinner again? are you going back to that shit, starving yourself because your scared" he asked her with narrowed eyes. he already felt guilty, he'd never say these things to his sister sober, but he was into deep down he may aswell keeping going. Aaron rounded the table to stand next to her watching her hands and she filled cups of tea refusing to meet his eyes. "their family Thea. stop acting like their out to get you!" finally she snapped her head to him "and what if they are?!" Aaron took a step back "wouldn't been the first time a 'family' has been out to get me" Aaron shook his head and point his finger to his sister "the Shelby's arent them. they're not the same" "you can't promise that" she said quietly looking at him. suddenly Aaron had a realisation, he marched forwards and grabbed his sisters face in one hand and looked at her closely. Tommy who was still watching from the other side of the living took at step forwards ready to intervene but as he did Aaron dropped his sisters face and looked down at the ground, Tommy paused in his step. "you're high" Aaron said mostly to himself then he looked back up at his sister "you're fucking high?" she didn't say anything just placed a tea cup in front of him. "why? what cause they beat you? you use that as an excuse to just snort a bunch shit and not feel anything?!" Thea scoffed as she took a seat opposite him "please beating me was the kindest thing they did, you don't wanna know what the worst thing was" her words made Tommys heart drop. he knew what she was insinuating and it made his sick to his stomach "ill ask you again Thea..." Aaron started as he reached for her cold hands across the table "..you tell me their names, and i'll kill them. I'm promise, just give me the family name" Tommy took another step forward as-well eager to but a bullet in every member of this family no matter who they may be. Thea held his hand a moment longer before she let go and nodded towards the stairs "go to bed Aaron, you'll have a headache tomorrow" then she looked away from and out the kitchen window the the dark night sky. Aaron stumbled towards the stairs but paused on the bottom step "stop the drugs tiny. let Tommy help you" Thea made no sign that she even heard him but he didn't expect her to, he knew she had, he just hoped this was enough. Tommy watched her for a few more moments as she sipped her tea whilst starring across at the other untouched mug before a retreated himself back to his office. he was unsure of what to do, it was clearly a conversation he warns meant to hear but at the same time he can't just pretend that he didn't hear it, he made a mental note to ask polly for advice in the morning. that night Tommy fell asleep in his office chair unable to focus on anything but his children. 

Tommy woke to polly roughly shaking his shoulders whispering to follow her as she led him to the living room. last night after her and Aarons argument Thea had fallen asleep on the couch, whilst asleep though her robe had slipped down off her shoulder exposing part of her back and that's what polly had woken Tommy up to show him. both he and his aunt were shocked into silence, polly had tears in her eyes and Tommy had his fists clenched so hard his knuckles here white. thea's back was littered with scars, some big, some small but they were everywhere. they could only she a small part of her back and shoulder blades, looking at her down Tommy realised just how skinny she was as-well, he just seemed to be getting more and more concerned for her by the minute. Tommy gestured for polly to leave the room and she did whilst muttering a prayer for the small girl she'd come to love. Tommy picked up a blanket from the other couch and gently laid it over her the knelt down next to her stoking the back of her head whilst she snuggled into the warmth she'd now found. "come on eh, lets get you up to be" he whispered as he lightly shook her shoulder, he could've carried her easily, its not like the girl was heavy. but he wasn't sure she'd like that and he didn't want to push his luck. she started to stir and he continued to run his hand over her hair until her eyes flutter open, he'd expected to to jolt away from him or to push him back, but instead she just lay there and let him play with her hair for a moment more as she looked up at him. after a few moment she lightly grabbled his hand and he almost winced at her ice cold fingers on his and she calmly moved his hand away from her. she sat up on the couch but still held the large blanket tightly around herself and Tommy stayed crouched where he was. "I know you heard" was all she said and she stared into the empty fire place. Tommy nodded his head and let out a sigh "I did yeah" he moved and sat next to her on the couch instead of the floor, he lit a cigarette and handed it to her which she accepted and then lit his own. the both sat in silence for a moment before Thea spoke again "I'm fine. in don't wanna talk about it" Tommy nodded slowly letting out a blow of smoke "we will talk." he stated and he could almost feel Thea rolling her eyes "but not now" he added softly as they both turned to look at each other "well talk when you're ready, whenever that is" Thea held his eye for a moment to see if he was tell the truth before she slowly nodded. and the two of them settled back into the couch smoking their cigarettes.