Chapter 12: What Came Next

Publishing the final chapter and Epilogue together as both are relatively short, as were the first two chapters. I hope you have enjoyed this story. Leave a like and comment if you wish, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

_________________________________________

The Atlantic breeze floated in through their windows on ethereal currents. Puffy white clouds meandered across the blue sky. The cries of the seabirds were clear in the distance.

Her fingers made little swirls over the dip at the center of his chest. His fingers mimicked hers on the back of her left shoulder. Their normally active minds quiet as they lay in the languor of their morning lovemaking.

"As much as I adored Santorini, there's no place I'd rather be than here with you."

Cupping her shoulder he pulled her into him to plant a kiss on her tanned forehead. It had been an eventful eight months since that first knock on his door. He could not believe the extraordinary turn his life had taken.

"What do they say in that old film? 'No place like home'? I thought you might like a warm sandy beach for a change, if only for two weeks."

Finding his mouth with hers they kissed bringing visions of the crystal clear turquoise waters of the caldera and the sunsets in Oia freshly to her mind. Their honeymoon had been glorious.

"Mmm, it was wonderful. And that film was called 'The Wizard of Oz'. But here, together in this house, feels right."

Severus hummed in accord. They had eloped at the urging of Minerva, mainly to escape the publicity. They both considered weddings a lot of bother filled with angst and nerves only to leave exhaustion in its wake. Having quickly agreed with the Headmistress she married them on the spot, as was within her jurisdiction to do, before Severus swept Hermione off to a private villa in Oia on the warm Mediterranean island of Santorini. 

"I have a proposal for you."

Hermione teased,

"Another one?"

"Ok, a business proposition then. When you feel you have had enough of the Ministry, would you consider a position as co-chair, vice-president and chief financial officer of the new St George Enterprises?"

Being in his arms was the most natural feeling in the world to her...and possibly the most unlikely, given their history. That time eight years ago seemed like another life, other people and certainly didn't reflect who they were now, who they had become. Hermione snuggled closer,

"I would consider any position with you highly favourable."

Suddenly realising what he had said, she pushed herself off his chest,

"St George Enterprises!? Are you going global?"

"Well, expanding. The demand is becoming more than I can handle alone in my lab. There's an old butter factory in Cork I've had my eye on for awhile now. I can deal with the logistics of getting the place up and running but if the company grows, as I believe it will continue to do given the muggle penchant for organic and natural remedies, I'll need help in the future."

She could imagine having coffee together every morning, kissing goodbye before they stepped through the floo, she to London and he to County Cork. Returning at end of day to their home at the edge of nowhere on the wild Atlantic coast, leaving the world far away.

"Oh, Severus, it all sounds marvelous! P.A. to the Minister of Magic is new and will keep me busy until you need me."

Rolling over on top of Hermione he breathed,