8: a Flood of Memories in Rivendell

"Sometimes,
you will never know the worth of a moment,
till it becomes a memory."

Illdera.

We walked into the courtyard of Lord Elrond. Everything looked exactly like it did the last time Gandalf brought me here. Even the sound of the waterfalls was the same.

We stood in the courtyard, waiting for something to happen. The dwarfs were whispering to each other. Suddenly, there came a voice from the staircase behind us.

"Mithrandir." We heard someone say, and turning towards the sound we saw an elf descending down the stairs.

The elf had dark hair and a stern look on his face. I knew him, and I did not like him.

"Ah, Lindir." Gandalf greeted the elf.

"Mana brings tye símen " Lindir said.

"I must speak with Lord Elrond." Gandalf told him seriously.

"Tis' much unfortunate, my Lord is not here."

"Not here? Where is he?"

Before Lindir could answer, a horn blast was heard. I smiled to myself as we all turned to see a group of riders approaching.

Thorin cursed loudly.

"Close ranks!" He yelled to the other dwarfs. They formed a circle around Bilbo and stood with their weapons ready.

The horses made a circle around us and then came to a stop.

"Gandalf."

One rider dismounted and greeted my uncle. He had dark hair like Lindir and wore armour. Apart from Gandalf, this elf was the closest thing to family I had had since my mother died.

"Lord Elrond." Gandalf greeted the ruler of Rivendell.

"Melonin." My uncle said, before coming out with a question of his own; "Boe bineth?"

"Farane lomoth, due logara. Dagane rim na ya leth." Lord Elrond told him.

"Strange for Orcs, to come so close to our borders." He said, holding up an orc sword.

"Something or someone, has drawn them near." He spoke, as he handed the sword to Lindir.

"Ah, that may have been us." Gandalf said.

Elrond nodded, then looked at the group of dwarfs standing before him. It looked like he had not yet noticed me.

"Welcome Thorin, son of Thrain." He greeted Thorin.

"I do not believe we have met." Thorin answered.

"You have your grandfather's bearing." Elrond said. "I knew Thror when he ruled under the mountain."

"Indeed. Made no mention of you." Thorin told him rudely.

Elrond ignored that. He looked up and noticed me standing awkwardly to one side. He smiled at me.

"Well, if it isn't the little princess." He said.

I bowed gracefully "My Lord Elrond." I said. Then I walked to him and hugged him tightly.

"I missed you." He whispered to me.

When I had let go, Elrond turned to the dwarfs.

"Narthio noiner, tortho ivol more. Oe yanam van anethalvien." He offered.

Gloin was instantly whipped into a frenzy.

"What does he say? Does he offer us an insult?" He shouted. Elrond looked amused at this.