Chapter 4

Song of the chapter: Yeh Kya Hua

Singers: Shreya Ghoshal, Dev Negi

From: Broken but beautiful.

Adrita's POV

Do you see me jumping like a 5-year-old? Do you see my shoulders doing their happy dance? Do you see me flipping my hair as I smirk over how cool I am?

No?

Maybe, because I am trying my best to not let my inner self show how much help I need. Honestly, can you even blame me? I just had an incredible lunch with my crush and it wasn't even that awkward! I don't know what exactly happened but the moment we entered the restaurant something changed. He was smiling a lot, he even initiated the conversations!

But it only took me a minute to destroy the friendly environment. After leaving the restaurant, everything was still smooth, our trip back to the office was way better than the one we took to the restaurant. We were heading to our respective floors when I finally remembered to thank him.

After pressing our respective floor numbers on the lift buttons I turn to him and let out, "I loved the restaurant and the food. Thank you."

The sides of his lips twist into a beautiful smile, giving me the confidence to continue, "And also thank you for booking the cab! I am so grateful that we didn't have to take a bus. You know, buses are way too crowded, so yeah, thanks for being generous to book a cab." I thank him gently.

A small frown appears on his face which soon gets replaced with a grimace as he nods his head and averts his eyes away.

With a ding the elevator's door opens, indicating the arrival of his floor. He steps out without even bothering a glance or a goodbye.

***

Next Day

Anirudh's POV

I am not a bad person but am I good? Doubtful. How do you even define what's good? I am sure I am a decent person but good? I am not sure. To what extent do good people judge others? To what extent do they assume things? What if they know it's wrong? What if they are aware of the high probability of them being mistaken? What if they are trying their best to not jump to conclusions? Does it make them inherently bad or just human?

A sick and judgemental part of me was bent on the idea that Adrita was nothing but a fake doll who loves playing with people, a mean human who derives pleasure out of others' misery.

But I know that's not true.

Why? Because I know that the sick part of me wants to prove my prior assumptions right. The deep-rooted hatred inside me does not want to see Adrita in any other light but what I had painted her into.

I don't hate Adrita.

Why? I don't know. But I don't.

Hardworking. Hardworking is how most people describe me. And ambition is the outcome of the title I have been given. I couldn't afford to fail and I never did. But still, no one believed in me, no one believed in my dreams, my ambition.

Since childhood, people have 'consoled' me, told me to not see such big dreams, that my 'lowly' status was meant to crumble beneath the shoes of the mighty. I hate pity. I hate feeling ridiculed.

I have done a lot of small jobs and I have heard a lot of things: "Do you know who I am ?" "What would you know about class?" "People like you are nothing but a burden."

My grandmother's medical bills, my education loans, and a better home. Everything's on me. I had to step up. I took this internship in hopes to prove everyone wrong. That my resume would be tough enough to crack the boundaries made by my 'low' status.