Chapter 21

Adrita's POV

To say that my house was located in the middle of a forest will not be an exaggeration. The front of our home is attractive to a lot of people, having a round drive away and a fountain in the centre captivates a lot of attention. But it was our backyard garden that held all my affection. Enormous trees were rooted parallel to the fences, shading the little heaven people call garden.

And in this garden was my safe place, my safe heaven. I stroll toward the little corner which has a small podium in the centre, surrounded by flower beds on both sides and back support in the form of a tree bark whose canopy shaded the podium perfectly.

Pushing myself up on the podium, I sit cross-legged on it and stare up at the vast blue sky draped with fluffy white clouds. Placing my sketchbook on my thighs, I start drawing various patterns and design ideas for the clothing line I was dying to begin.

It's just an onset of great things ahead.

Hours and clouds both pass by, but I still stay in the same position working on various logos.

The sound of confident footsteps nearing me breaks my concentration and I turn toward the source just to end up facing my cousin. A smile automatically shapes on my lips, but Nyra pays no heed to it and bends down to pick up a pouch that I had no idea about.

"Still your favourite place?" I ask, not being able to control myself.

"I don't have anything much, now do I?" She retorts and starts walking away.

"Sit, Nyra," I ordered.

She frowns at me and stares at me as if I have said the most incredulous thing ever.

"Just sit. I promise I will never bother you again."

Still frowning, she sits on the podium but averts her eyes away.

"You don't have to bother anymore, because I am leaving for London tomorrow."

"Ohh." I find myself unable to say anything. She is leaving...once again.

"Well, you must love London to leave your position here? Why? Got some cutie there?" I teased. I don't think I should be doing this. Anirudh asked me to leave her alone and accept her decision and here I am, teasing her. But I can't help myself.

Anger was evident on her face. "Stop, Adrita. Stop acting as if we are alright. We are not! Get it? You don't have to act like a ray of sunshine with me when I know I made you like this."

"Why did you start hating me so much?" I asked, vulnerability reflecting in my voice.

"Because I could see my parents in your parents,

Because I could see myself in you,

But I could never be you."

The vulnerable nonchalance in her voice pierced my heart.

We fell into an overbearing silence, it was ironic how the birds chirping above us tried to lighten the mood. But the silence defeated them into nothingness.

"You didn't make me like this. I became me on my own like everyone else."

She didn't say anything. Maybe she doesn't believe me, which was understandable.

"Nyra, why are you leaving? Don't you feel alone there?"

"The loneliness there is of a different kind. I am lonely there because I am alone. Not in a manner where I am surrounded by people, but can not reach them. The loneliness I feel here is of a different kind, a more devastating one."