Chapter 18

Adrita's POV

"Hi, Nyra." Placing my clutch on the dining table I sit on the chair across from her and pour myself some orange juice.

"When will you stop?" She questions, a revolted look evident on her face.

"What should I stop?" I ask calmly, not wanting to create a scene. Mom and Dad were not home but the staff were. For my parents, we were still the same Nyra and Adrita who would fight the whole world just to stay together.

She stands abruptly making her chair fall on the floor stemming a loud thud. "This fakeness of yours! We know you have got it all. We know you are the ultimate 'princess'. You don't have to throw it around on other people's faces. We get it! I get it!"

An uneasy feeling builds up in my chest as I listen to her words. "You know that's not true."

"Ohh, really? You are telling me you are not a princess? You don't have everything? You are not loved by all? Why? Why be so fake, Adrita?"

"Enough, Nyra. I care about you but that doesn't mean you get a free pass to say whatever you feel like! First, you hated me for not being grateful, for complaining. And now you dislike me because I smile?"

"Ohh so here comes the real Adrita. See, I was right. You are faking all this caring Adrita act. You just want to make yourself feel good. I have heard about the Sunshine kids' things of yours. Seriously? Just another act of collecting praises. And praises for what? What are you even doing for them? Collecting praises on your father's money. We get it Adrita, you want attention but at least do something for it. But for a person like you who has it all, it is easy to preach rather than actually work. Isn't it so?"

Each word of hers stabs my heart a little by little leaving it to bleed on the beautiful memories. I had nothing to say, my lips were sealed as I realise that I have lost my best friend, my cousin to bitterness. A single tear betrays me and escapes from the confinement of my eyes blurring the reflection of my favourite person, the same way our memories had blurred.

"Why Adrita? Why do you have everything? And I am left with nothing?"

Saying that she left me alone in the massive hall where every passing second the walls felt closer and closer.

******

The cool evening breeze caresses my face as I walk on the damp grasses of the city park. Sitting on one of the swings I gently push it with my legs allowing it to oscillate and letting the breeze hit me with a force, bringing back the old memories.

"It's my sister's turn. Get off!" Nyra yelled at the two boys swinging for the 100th time.

"Let it go, Nyra." I pleaded, scared for her.

"Why? You were waiting for your turn for so long? These two need to get off." Turning to the boys she glared at them which made the boys run for their life.

"See. They are gone." She stated with a toothy grin.

A chuckle bubbles out of my lips as the image of a 10-year-old girl with two broken teeth appears in my mind.

We were so sweet. It is cruel how life plays with the innocent souls and expects them to move on and pretend as if its one move doesn't destroy lives.

That night 15-year-old Nyra had lost everything. Business rivalries took her parents away from her. Mom and Dad took her in but Nyra was a broken soul and broken souls have no home.

Days went by and we all tried to be there for her. Mom and dad tried their best to never let her feel alienated but the more they tried the more Nyra felt separated.

I don't know when she started considering me as a nuisance but it did become evident with time.

Conversations became synonymous with taunts. 

"I don't want to talk to you, Adrita."

"How much of an entitled person you can be? Look, how easy everything is for you. They will praise you even if you are the worst person alive."

Day by day the bitterness built up in her and one day she left for good, without any goodbyes.

And now she has returned, and the distastefulness is crystal clear. I get her pain. She went through a lot. Her pain is incomparable. No one should go through what she did. But what was my mistake? Why?

And why now? Haven't I changed? So why now?

Even the guy I have fallen for has or had the same thoughts about me. Didn't he say he thinks I am not being real with him?

There is something about knowing that your dear ones are slowly distancing themselves that clenches your heart painfully. You feel the coldness brewing, the distance broadening, and yet it is too soon to say something. And when the consequences hit you like a storm, it is too late to do something.

A hand holding a pink rose enters my eyesight, dragging me out of the memory lanes. Lifting my eyelashes my eyes seal on the dark brown eyes of Anirudh glinting with adoration.

I take the rose from his hand playing with the beautiful petals as Anirudh sits on the other swing. "Are you still upset?"

"Should I be?" I ask, turning to him with a small smile playing on my lips.

Twisting his lips, he pretends to think and then slightly pushes the swing bringing it to motion. "Tell me everything and then let's decide? Because I know during our last disagreement, we were talking about different things."

Confused, I bring the swing to a pause and stare at him. "Different things?"

"Yes. I am not sure but I think so? What were you sad about? And why are you sad now?"

"I am not sad exactly, just slightly upset."

"Why so?"

Taking a deep breath, I tell him everything. Everything about Nyra, and everything about Rohan.

"Ohh." He says, averting his eyes away, he stares at the grass laying far away with no expression on his face. His grasp on the metal ropes of the swing tightens but other than that nothing could be detected from his stance.

"Do you remember once you told me to not believe other people's judgement and all I thought at that moment was; why not? Why not trust other people's judgement when they are the ones noticing our actions and our behaviour? There must be some truth in it. But one thing I can assure you of is that I have never faked anything with you."

Anirudh abruptly stands up and forwards his hand to me. I stare at him, confused. With his chin, he nudges me to take it. "Didn't I tell you that I am bad at philosophical and thoughtful stuff?" He says, prompting me to stand up.

Standing up, I ask him, "So I should believe in others' judgement?"

"You just decide. No, no more questions. I have to take you somewhere."

******