Ch 1: Part I

Usually following a move, Dad would take us shopping for anything we may need for the house. We'd recently gotten new beds, so we weren't in need of those. We did, however, need a new couch due to the stray dog the kids had wanted to adopt for just about two days before they'd given him to Dad to take to the clinic and adopt out. He'd been too much work for them – ripping our sofa to pieces, eating Andy's toy soldiers, and chewing on one of Lizzy's favorite books.

This morning, things weren't much different. Except, I didn't have to cook breakfast.

"Hey, kiddo?" I groaned at the sound of Dad's voice, and his knocking on the basement door. He'd opened it but hadn't come down, he was just knocking to get my attention. I liked this basement-turned-room thing already. "We're going to go out for breakfast and shopping today. Do you want to come?"

"Yeah, Dad. Just let me get dressed."

"Alright kiddo. The kids are still asleep anyhow. Figured I'd let them sleep in as long as possible." He closed the door then, and I chuckled as I got out of bed. Of course he would let them sleep in as long as possible – he was a pretty laid-back father for the most part. I was the one with the rules and the discipline. After a shower and getting dressed, I headed upstairs to find Dad.

He was in the kitchen having a cup of coffee and reading the newspaper. I made myself a cup of coffee and sat with him at the table. On one of the back pages, there was something about an animal adoption day this afternoon. The picture of the black cat caught my eye. It was adorable.

"Hey, Dad?"

"Yeah?" He asked from behind the newspaper.

"Could I get a pet?"

"Sure kid. Just no dogs, ok? I think we learned our lesson last time." I laughed at that. "I can do all the shots, save you some money. And microchip it, just in case."

"Thanks, Dad."

"I am a vet, kid. No use in paying when I can do it for free."

"No, I meant for everything." He lowered his newspaper halfway to meet my gaze over the top of it. "You're always supportive, you always think about our requests for about seven seconds before agreeing – no matter how outrageous."

"I haven't approved of all the outrageous ones-"

"That time Lizzy wanted to have a trampoline inside the house."

"We had a big house then, and it rained all the time. They would never have been able to jump on it outside." He made a fake pompous face and pretended the straighten out his newspaper, though he didn't raise it. "I'm the cool dad, remember. I have to protect my reputation."

"Right. We'll see what crazy ideas they cook up this time."

"Yeah, I'm worried about that one." I laughed at that, even though I kind of was, too. Until I heard little footsteps on the stairs and running across the mostly empty living room. This was the highlight of my day. Any moment after this could go either way.

"Kat!" Andy announced loudly before running around the table to throw himself into my lap. "Good morning." He added, tucking himself into my arms.

"Good morning, baby dinosaur." I brushed his hair from his face. "How'd you sleep last night?"

"Good. I like my new room." He shifted slightly and Dad lowered his newspaper all the way. "Good morning Daddy."

"Good morning Andy." Dad smiled at him, folding the newspaper at the same time. "You ready to get new toys today?"

"Can we have a playroom, Daddy?" I glanced at Dad, who traded a look with me.

"We'll see what Lizzy and Alyssa want to do with the extra room first, alright? Then we'll decide." Andy nodded, but about a minute later I heard his soft snoring as he sagged gently in my arms. "You think the girls will sleep much-"