Ch 4

The next day I woke up early so I could cook breakfast for the kiddos before we went to town. When Uncle Derek, Mikhail, and Sebastian followed Dad into the kitchen, I froze for a few seconds.

"Hey Kat, think you could make enough for your uncle and the twins as well?" Dad asked. His voice was tired, and I could assume that he'd stayed up all night. Dad had explained yesterday that he wasn't just a 'vet', he was a clan - or pack - doctor. We'd traveled so he could help different clans and packs in need.

"Sure Dad." I answered, deciding to pretend like Mikhail or Sebastian weren't there. Which was hard, because they took a seat directly in front of me, at the breakfast bar. Dad left the kitchen - probably to get dressed for work - and Uncle Derek took a seat beside them. I continued making French toast, and a few minutes later I heard Andy shouting.

"I want Kat to dress me!" He screamed, and I could hear his tiny feet stomping on the floor above my head.

"Fine!" Alyssa screamed back, before I could hear her stomping footsteps on the stairs. "The brat wants you." She huffed as she stormed into the kitchen.

"Watch the French toast." I ordered her, moving towards the door. "And no soda before twelve - you know that." I added without glancing over my shoulder, because I knew she'd grab one from the fridge when she thought I wasn't looking.

"Uh. Fine." She muttered, slamming the fridge door. I hurried upstairs, where Andy was sitting on his bed, pouting.

"Hey baby." I started, entering his room. He glanced up, a smile spreading across his face faster than wildfire. "Want some help?" He nodded, and I helped him pick out some shorts with a t-shirt.

"Thanks Kat." He whispered, kissing me on the cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too." I whispered back, picking him up into my arms. "Now, I'm cooking some French toast. Do you want some?" He nodded excitedly, as we left his room. I checked on Lizzy, who was putting on some socks when I knocked on her door.

"Hey." She muttered, a yawn slipping out. "Are you cooking breakfast?"

"Yes." I answered, and she nodded, following me down to the kitchen, where Alyssa was flipping a piece of French toast.

"Good, you're back." She announced, before tossing the spatula into the pan and leaving the kitchen. I sighed and set Andy on the counter.

"Uncle Derek, can you help me up?" I heard Lizzy ask. I took the French toast out, before making another two pieces and lying them in the pan to fry.

"You thirsty, baby?" I asked Andy, brushing the brown curls from his face. He nodded, yawning softly. I got the juice out and made two cups. After I handed Lizzy hers, I gave Andy his. He took a few sips before he set it down beside him on the counter.

"Can you make sausage too?" He asked, looking at me.

"Do you want sausage?" I asked, wiggling my fingers towards his side. He nodded, before shrieking, moving away from my hand.

"Don't tickle me!" He screamed, and I smiled as I got the sausage out of the freezer.

"I didn't know you were raising them by yourself." Uncle Derek started after I'd put the sausage in the microwave to defrost a bit. I glanced at him and noticed Sebastian and Mikhail were watching everything I did.

"Dad helps." I started in an unsure voice, flipping the French toast. "When he has the time." I added, glancing at Andy and then Lizzy.

"When does Mason have time for anything other than work?" Uncle Derek asked then, raising his eyebrow at me. I just shrugged, as someone knocked on the door.