Ch 6

The next morning, I woke up and hurried through brushing my teeth and threw on some random clothes before going upstairs to the kitchen. I had already pulled out everything for breakfast when I heard someone behind me. I whirled around in panic and exhaled deeply when I realized it was just Mikhail and Sebastian.

"Relax, Katherine." Mikhail offered, taking a seat at the breakfast bar. I nodded and turned back to get things started for breakfast.

"Can you hear the kids upstairs?" I asked then, glancing at him over my shoulder.

"The cubs are still asleep." Sebastian offered, and I nodded thankfully before turning to measure out the ingredients for the pancake batter. "We also haven't gotten any news about Mason." He added, and I sighed tiredly. Of course not, because that would make my life so much easier, and we can't have that, can we?

"You know, sarcasm isn't going to help." Mikhail teased. I blushed when I realized I'd said that out loud.

"Sorry." I mumbled, and Mikhail only chuckled in response.

"So, tell me something." Mikhail began then, after a few minutes of silence. I glanced over my shoulder at him in question, noticing that Sebastian was on his tablet, and wasn't paying any attention to us. Or so I assumed.

"What?"

"About what you said to your sister the other day at the diner." He began, looking at me curiously. I turned around, busying myself with plugging up the mixer.

"What about it?"

"I was curious as to what happened in your past for you to have such a strong hatred for handsome men. Did someone hurt you?"

"Were you eavesdropping on us?" I demanded and heard him chuckle behind me.

"You tend to have interesting conversations." Was all he offered as explanation.

"Especially that conversation with Raven." I glanced over my shoulder at Sebastian's voice. He was staring up at me, a glint in his eyes that I couldn't describe. "I liked that one the most."

"Why were you stalking me anyway?" I demanded.

"We were having trouble with Rogues, and Mason wanted you children watched in case they slipped past patrol and came into town." I nodded, before turning on the mixer and blending my pancake batter. Once it was finished, I added chocolate chips and mixed them in by hand.

"The cubs are awake." Sebastian stated, and I glanced up towards the ceiling as the phone rang.

"I'll get that." Mikhail offered, before leaving the kitchen.

"My brother thinks you're different." Sebastian began in a low tone. I glanced at him as I turned to grab the bacon from the fridge. "And he likes you, for some odd reason. I'm warning you now – if you hurt my brother, I will kill you." I arched an eyebrow at his threat, but merely nodded as three sleepy children came sluggishly into the kitchen, dragging their feet and rubbing at their eyes.

"Good morning." I announced cheerfully, and they all glanced up at me before taking their seats at the table. I smiled softly when Andy let his head fall to the tabletop, and Alyssa groaned about how bright it was. Lizzy, as usual, was quiet.

"Good news." Mikhail stated, entering the kitchen. "Mason's stable."

"And?" I asked, and he took his seat at the counter before continuing.

"The Clan Doctor from up north says Mason is recovering on his own. Your father is a very strong shifter, Kat."

"So can we go see Daddy?" I turned at Andy's quiet question. I glanced at Mikhail, who nodded.