Chapter Seven: Call of Duty: Nightmares

It was the day after Gisele had moved in. Callie had already warmed up to her and was not as fussy as the first day. They in the living room after she had picked Callie from school. She was now friends with the Indian driver who was teaching her Hindi.

Presently, was telling Gisele about her day at school which made Gisele start asking herself questions. Where was Callie's mother? She did not ask anything at the interview because she did not want to seem nosy. But now she was so so curious.

Callie went on oblivious to Gisele's inner pondering. "...And then Sheila said I should push Lou and call herself a fat popotamus."

"Did you do it, hun?", Gisele asked.

"No", the kid replied proudly.

"That's good", was Gisele's reply. Then she ruffled Callie's hair

"Stop that", she said "I'm not a kid"

"Oh, then what are you?", Gisele asked intrigued

"I'm a wiman", Callie replied haughtily.

Gisele laughed and said, "You're one funny ki- I mean woman"

And Callie graced her with a smile.

* * *

After dinner, Gisele put Callie to bed. She kissed her head and said, "Sweet dreams, mon ange." Then went to her own room

At about 2 a.m, Gisele was dragged out of her book by Callie's screams.

She went quickly to the room which was connected to hers by a door. She cradled Callie in her arms and woke her up and started murmuring nonsensical words of comfort.

"Shh... don't cry honey. It's Okay. It was just a horrible dream, Okay?"

Callie burrowed herself into Gisele's arms and sobbed some more.

"Please, promise you'll never leave me", she said brokenly.

"I promise.", Gisele said solemnly."What did you dream of, honey."

"I dreamt you were gone just like my mommy"

"Don't worry, honey, I'll never leave you, Ok?"

"Promise?"

"Promise". Gisele said while hugging Callie closer to her body. And she was more intrigued on what had happened to Callie's mother.

* * *

Slate got up to the screaming of his daughter as he did every night that this one had a nightmare. He presumed Gisele would be there but he knew it will be of no use.

He went to the room and stopped suddenly as he opened the door. Callie was there calm and in Gisele's arms. He watched her smooth Callie's hair utter words of comfort.

At that moment he felt profound admiration for Gisele but that didn't mean that he wasn't still lusting over her.

Shit. What was he saying? She was his daughter's nanny. He did not have to have desire and want for her. He took a deep breath, closed the door as quietly as he could and went to his room.