Part X Twenty

When the two were called to the pseudo ring, Kurapika pulled his wooden swords from their hidden sheath. Hisoka made no move to even hint at the fact he was surprised.

I don't like it when my friends get hurt, but I don't have very much of a choice in the matter. Leorio was fidgeting with his hands from his spot beside me. I can't blame him. They're closer to each other than I am.

Killua and Gon were watching Hisoka intently. I don't know if they were trying to intimidate him or distract him, but either way, it wasn't doing much.

Netero glanced between the two and began the match. Killua, being an idiot, charged at the clown. I held my breath. Why would he do something so dumb?

Hisoka dodged Kurapika's swing at the last second. He was faster than the kid, but he wasn't using it to his advantage.

As Kurapika gained solid footing again, Hisoka bent down to whisper in his ear. I know I should've listened in, but the way Kurapikas eyes glossed over, he probably wouldn't've wanted me to.

Hisoka straightened back to his full height before raising a hand. "I forfeit."

Killua and Gon were flabbergasted. Why would the man with the upper hand give up?

Easy answer, he wanted Kurapika to become a Hunter. Why? That's a question I can't answer, whatever the answer is, it's in Hisokas head. And I'm no mind reader, despite what some may think.

Hisoka walked back to Illumi; and Kurapika to us. He didn't seem to show anything other than anger, probably at Hisoka or what he said. It might have something to do with his dead family, or it might not. Who cares?

Leorio sighed before stomping toward to ring. He'd be fighting Pokkle. The guy with the poison arrows.

Well, Leorio did recently survive hundreds of snake bites, so he'll probably survive this as well, right? Although it was venom from the snakes, not poison. The man wants to be a doctor. He should know the differences and how to treat things like poison and venom.

Without the threat of death hanging heavy in the air, the fight between Leorio and Pokkle shouldn't be tense like the last few. Why Leorio brought his suitcase up there with him, I will never know.

Pokkle notched an arrow, the tip noticeably a purple color. That must be the poison. Leorio noticed it, too.

The arrow was released, and Leorio swung the case in front of him, blocking the arrow. It was embedded tightly into the black leather.

The poison couldn't be fatal either; both men knew that, and by the looks of it, Leorio was going to use that to his advantage.

As Pokkle notched another, Leorio took his chance and gained distance on the shorter man. There was a dull thunking as another arrow stuck itself into the briefcase. Pokkle was on limited resources, and everyone knew it.

Every time Pokkle released an arrow, Leorio would inch closer. It got to the point where the shorter was backing up. He had two arrows left and nowhere to run.

In a panic, Pokkle grabbed one of the arrows and discarded his bow to the side. He charged at the raven-haired man, swinging his arm rapidly.

Leorio dodged to the side and slipped a small knife from his pocket. He left a small cut on Pokkles upper arm, not deep enough to bleed heavily but it definitely stung.

Pokkle had to be careful now. If he swung the arrow around, the poison would fling onto him and into his wound. Pokkle knew there wasn't much he could do. We all did.

"I forfeit."

Leorio smiled with bright white teeth and let the shorter man get all of his arrows. He even gave him a small bandage to cover his wound.

Even after fighting with someone he barely knew, he was a kind and compassionate person. I don't want anyone or anything to ruin that about him.

The next fight was between Hisoka and Bodoro. There wasn't much that happened. Hisoka used the same tactic he used on Kurapika. Except when he whispered to Bodoro, the old man gave up, shaking.

Then there was Hanzo and Pokkle. Hanzo used his superior speed and got behind Pokkle before he could notch his arrow. He had one of the poison weapons to the small man's throat before he could even move.

The last fight was between Bodoro and Pokkle. The old man was still off his game from the scare of Hisoka, but he put up a fair fight. When one of Pokkles arrows grazed his arm, he began to get drowsy and slow.

Pokkle won, and Bodoro was the only one to fail.

It was apparent that Illumi wasn't pleased with the results at all. Even in that ugly disguise, his displeasure was evident.

We were escorted to a classroom sort of room while Bodoro was brought to the medic to get his cut cleaned up.

Netero held a long speech about the responsibility of becoming a Hunter and gave us all a license stating we were official Hunters.

There weren't any complaints or questions, only an angry assassin and some oblivious children. Hisoka wouldn't leave me alone, but he was easy to ignore when he wasn't being too creepy. But It was Leorio who brought up the real question.

"What are we going to do now?"

We were standing in a group outside the gates of the building. It was the thing everyone was dreading.

"I know my plan," I said, "I'm gonna build a house, isolated, maybe take a few jobs if I need to." The three were smiling, not happily, though. "What about you guys?"

Leorio raised his hand. "I'm going to go to school to finally become a doctor!" He smiled, "With the license, I can do whatever I need to! I won't have to pay a thing, and I'll get to help people who can't afford it."

"I am going to take revenge for my clan. After, maybe I can also settle down." Kurapika was staring into the sky, thinking.

Killua and Gon looked at each other, "We're going to travel around a bit. Maybe we can finally find Gon's dad. "

I raised a brow, "What about when you find him? What will you do then, Killua? "

He shrugged, "I don't know. I'll play it by ear, I guess."

There was a calm silence. We stood there for a long time, looking at each other. Taking in all of the details, like we weren't ever going to see each other again.

"I heard.." Leorio began, "that there's going to be an underground auction in September. It'll be in York New City. This doesn't have to be the last time we see each other."

Kurapika smiled a small thing, a little flush on his cheeks. "So, September?" We all nodded.

It wouldn't be the last time. There's no way these kids can get rid of me that easily.

————————————————————

Listen, I know I skipped the part with Killua and his family, but that comes in later. From here, the story will kinda veer from the show. There will still be Heavens Arena and Greed Island but it'll be a bit different.

Kakashi will have a small cottage in the woods and this is definitely not the last you'll see of Illumi and Hisoka.

Hope you enjoyed, sorry for the long wait 😅