Chapter 4

Summer ended and it was back to school.
I was so ready. So ready! I wanted to leave with a bang! I was confident that I would. I'd already planned my outfit weeks prior and it was a really cute one. My mini, yellow body con dress. A light brown, checkered blazer which was as long as my dress. It was short but who cared? I was a senior now! I had to look the part. I accessorized with a white headband and small golden loop earrings.
I carried my shades just in case.
I did my nails the night before, packed my bag and basically planned my whole entire week. I had to know what my plan was for the year before stepping into those gates.
After getting dressed, I rushed downstairs for breakfast. Everyone was already there: Gloria, mom and dad.
"There she is! My superstar!" Dad cheered, getting up from his chair.
I always told myself that I'd never get enough of his hugs...ever!
"Good morning, everyone!" I beamed.
"You look stunning, Bonita." Mom complimented.
"Thank you, Mamá."
"Are you excited?" Ria asked.
"Excited, ready and confident!" I revealed.
"What did I tell you, mi amor? She's got this!" Dad added, proudly.
"But I don't want you overwhelming yourself with too many things, Bonita. Por favor. You're still very young and I don't think taking things too seriously is the way to go. Isn't that right, Linda?"
"I think what Mom is trying to say is 'don't give yourself a heart attack.' I know you, Grace. With you it's either perfect or nothing. And what do I always say to you?"
"Leave room for disappointment. Never say never and always expect the unexpected." I sighed.
"It's just how life is, mija. I know you've got all these brilliant massive plans...but don't let them be your only hope, okay?" My dad comforted.
They were right. I couldn't be so sure about life and my future. I had to tone it down a notch. Just a little bit. I had had it all well planned for a while:
1) Do well in school.
2) Take care of myself and save myself for marriage.
3) Get into a good college.
4) Graduate.
5) THEN fall in love.
Once I had met my person after college, we'd get married, travel the world and once we'd done all we could together, settle down and have babies. Brilliant! Right?
My phone buzzed mid-conversation and I discreetly checked it under the table. 'No phones on the table' was an actual rule in our family. But it was the girls. We'd planned to travel in Donna's car for senior year.

Donny: I've already left the house. Bebe's with me and we're on the way to you, Lucy.
Luce: No problem. I'm done anyway. I'll wait for guys outside.
Luce: *you
Donny: Grace, you're next.
Me: Cool. Still having breakfast but I'm sure I'll be done before you get here.
Mimi: So that means I'm last?
Luce: Yep!

Donna Genevieve Freeman. The only one a year older than us in the group, and the only one with a car. It was her mom's. She passed away a few years ago. Donna and her sister, Diana, who we call 'Diane', lived with their aunt Vanessa. Long story.
Anyway, I gobbled down my fruit bowl and quickly washed it before checking my bag one last time and doing some last minute touches on my clothes and hair.
"Are you leaving already, Bonita?"
"Yes, Mom. Donna's on her way to pick me up."
"Donna? Your friend? Is it safe? Richard?"
"Cariño, I'm sure Donna is a good driver just like Grace. I don't think they'll have a problem. Isn't that right, mija?"
"One hundred percent! It's senior year, Mom. Wouldn't you agree that I'm getting old to be dropped off?" I knew what her answer would be. I had one eye open and both fingers crossed but...
"No, I do not agree. Gloria was dropped off till last day of her senior year. You remember that! And you're still only seventeen and still my baby. No. Richard, no."
"Lisa, let's let her go just for this week while we figure out how we're going to get her to school from there onwards, okay?" My dad suggested, calmly.
"I'm sorry that I didn't let you guys know sooner. I was just so excited. I didn't think it through," I admitted.
"Next time, Bonita, write it down in your phone or somewhere. You know how I get when I don't know what's happening in my babies lives. I don't want all these...surprises. You too, Gloria."
"Understood. Loud and clear, Mother."
And with that, Donna was outside. She honked so loudly I chuckled nervously thinking of an excuse. "She probably thinks I'm upstairs still," I said. I grabbed my bag before they could say anything and ran for the door. "I love you all!" I called out.
The roof of Donna's car was opened and I could see Lucy and Bebe at the back seat.
"Good morning." I greeted.
"You look stunning," Bebe smiled.
"Thank you. Why aren't any of you sitting in front? Lucy?"
"Why me? I love the back. It's got more space."
Why did I ask her? Always with her moods that one. I got into the front to avoid wasting time. Donna's stereo was on and she was playing The Neighborhood. Our favorite band.
I was so happy. It was finally time for school. I was with my friends again and everything seemed to be going well so far. I was really hopeful. But...it was all premature. When we got to Mimi's house and saw her standing outside, my heart almost stopped.
I couldn't believe my eyes, and despite how shocked I was, I had to hide it. I had to act normal.
"Come on, Naomi! Get your ass in the car!" They called out, laughing.
I was still trying to breathe and then Donna said it, "Oh my gosh! Is that...Edgar?"
"It freaking is! Hi, Edgar!" Bebe waved with a huge smile on her face.
I tried hiding behind Donna but he'd already seen me. It was then that I realized that something was off about the girls. Why were they so loud and chatty all of a sudden?
Naomi quickly ran into the car, "Donna, step on it!" She ordered.
Bebe was the loudest and she kept laughing the most all the way to school. Lucy all of a sudden put her shades on but was giggling to anything and everything.
"Are you guys...high?" Naomi noticed.
That's it! They were high! What in the world?!
"Just a little. We smoked before we got here."
"You say that aloud at school and you're dead, Bebe!" Lucy threatened.
"How many joints did you guys have?!" Naomi asked again.
"Just one." Donna replied.
"You guys are insane." She chuckled.
We sang to the music for a while and chatted it up when Lucy changed the subject. "So...when did Edgar come back?"
I don't know why, but I shot up from my seat with a huge grin on my face, "No way! You're still into him!" I guffawed. "Shut up, no I'm not!" Luce denied. We all looked at each other. "Look, I know I've got a wild side but it's not that wild. How could I possibly have a crush on a guy who's into dick?"
"I call bullshit," Donna quickly objected. "You were into him then he turned you down and told you he's gay."
"And by the looks of it you're still stung, and still into him!" I laughed.
In whole honesty? I do not know what I found so funny. It wasn't funny at all. It was frustrating and...sad. I didn't know how to feel about seeing Edgar again after such a long time. But seeing him definitely triggered something in me.
I wasn't quiet sure yet what it was.
But I wasn't about to let it ruin my first day of school. "So, what are you pretty ladies doing this year?" I questioned.
"Well, since Luke's in the football team, I think I'm going to cheer him on. See what I did there?!" Brooke giggled.
"Bebe, you and Luke are dating again? I thought you said you broke up over the summer?" Donna queried.
"Well, we sorta like got back together again," she answered. I could see her cheeks turn pink. "What the hell, Bebe?!" Lucy chided.
"Bebe, you need to let this guy go, honestly. He's not good for you." I sternly advised.
"It's not that easy, you guys." Brooke sighed.
"It isn't easy for us as well, watching you getting beat up and played by him!" Lucy shouted.
"Lucy!" we three shouted back.
"No, you guys! That guy is a jerk and he doesn't deserve Bebe!" She concluded.
"You're right, Luce. She's right, Bebe. It hurts having to wipe your blood and clean up your cuts for you." Donny admitted.
Lucy looked at Mimi, "Naomi, say something!"
I knew Mimi wouldn't say anything. She was in her own similar situation as well.