Chapter 46.

Ethan and I spent the whole night on the phone, talking. We were in the 'figuring it out' phase. None of us wanted to admit how we really felt about each other. And both of us were scared to put any label on it. Me? I really liked him. Not because of what happened with Edgar. I wasn't using Ethan as a distraction or a rebound. I genuinely liked him. Everyone was right. They saw it but I denied because, well...Edgar and other things.
Did I ever imagine my dream guy to be someone like Ethan? No. I was still scared of falling for him completely. A part of me didn't trust him. I still felt that maybe, he'd switch up on me. But even though, I couldn't stay away from him. Staying away from Ethan was the hardest thing I had ever had to do!
He was so...perfect. Ethan never stopped trying. He always put in the effort. Always. I always felt wanted when I was with Ethan. No doubts. One thing I liked most, was our phone calls. The day after us confessing our feelings to each other, he called me bright and early in the morning.
"Good morning, Buttercup. Did you sleep well?"
His voice was so raspy and deep. I could listen to it all day.
"Good morning. I did, thank you. Did you?" I flirted.
"Surprisingly, yes. We ended that call rather late. I thought I should check if you managed to wake up on time," he chuckled, softly.
"It was hard but I managed. I'm still in bed by the way."
"Me too. I'm trying to talk myself out of sleeping for fifteen more minutes."
"Do not do it! It's a bad idea," I giggled.
"I just can't wait to see you at school. That's the only reason why I'm not going to have those fifteen minutes."
"All right, charmer boy. Let's get up, get ready and we'll see each other at school."
"Gotcha. Do you like energy drinks?"
"Not really. But today, I need one."
"Say no more. Meet you by the field before class?"
"Sure thing."
We hung up and I stayed in my sheets for a while. My mind drifted to Ethan. It's funny how whenever I thought about him, I'd imagine us at the carnival, at the movies, out in the fields having a picnic, going out to Joe's together, to the mall together, the diner together. It was a good feeling. And with that, I sprung out of bed and got ready for school.
I had the radio on as I got ready for school. It was a good day and I was in a good mood. A very, very good mood. I was happy! From deep inside my heart. Does that even make sense? I made sure to wear a cute outfit that day. My parents were still mad at me. Dad was angrier than mom was. But even though that was the case, he still came back to me. He still gave me a chance to explain myself and for us to repair our relationship. So, before I left for school, he came up to my room to have a talk with me.
"¿Puedo entrar, por favor?"
"Sí. ¿Estás bien?"
I stopped what I was doing and took a seat on the bed, leaving the chair open for him.
"Estoy bien," he replied.
"Papá, I'm really sorry that I disappointed you. I really didn't mean to."
"I know. I just want to know what you were thinking? My Grace would never behave the way you did on Saturday. You always let us know your whereabouts and you always answer your phone. You communicate. What went wrong?"
Dad has always been so understanding. He never judged and he listened. Which is why it was easy to talk to him about anything. Not everything, though.
"To be honest with you, Papá. I...wasn't thinking of anything else besides spending more time with Ethan. I don't know what came over me. But, I don't regret it," I confessed.
"Is Ethan going to be a problem?"
"I like him. I like him so much. That's all I can say at the moment."
"In other words, you're not making any promises? In other words, I have to worry?"
"Honestly? I think I'm the one who needs to worry. I can't control my feelings for him. When I'm with him, that's the only place that I want to be," I realized.
"It's normal that you feel that way. We've all been there before. Our first love. The first love is always the one. And yes, we've lost ourselves in the process. I don't want to say much because I don't know this Ethan character. So, I can't advise you on which steps to take. But, I know you. And I don't want to lose you. None of us do. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that you've stepped out of the box and decided to take a different approach in life, but for your old man's' sake, please don't make your relationship with Ethan the only important thing in your life. Por favor. Love him as much as you want, but don't let him change you. And if he doesn't like that, then that should tell you something."
"Is Daddy saying that he's okay with the fact that I've got a guy in my life?"
"Don't push it. I want to meet Ethan again. Invite him over for dinner."
"I definitely will. And I hear you, Papá. I promise you, I will not disappoint you. I'll try my best not to."
"I'd appreciate that, mija. So, is he fetching you?" Dad smiled.
"We're not there yet," I blushed.
"Oh, okay. But no more late nights!" He ordered.
"No more late nights, I promise."
"All right. Let me get going so that you can continue getting ready. Enjoy your day, querida."
"Gracias, Papá. Tú también."
When I got to school the first place I headed to was the field. I was meant to meet Ethan there. He too, had just arrived. I was about to climb up to the top of the bleachers when he snuck up on me, throwing his arm around my shoulder, kissing my forehead.
"I was about to throw a punch!" I cackled.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."
He took my hand and helped me carefully walk up those huge stairs.
"Your hand fits so perfectly with mine," he admired.
I let go of his hand and pulled him in by his neck for a kiss. Ethan always responded quickly. He threw his arms around me, tightening the hug as I kissed him eagerly and hard, my hands grasping around his neck. He gently sucked on my bottom lip before pulling away. Our heads rested against each other's. My hands placed on either side of his face, eyes closed, melting into his warm embrace.
"Don't ever stop kissing me," he breathed. "Your kisses are the air that I breathe."
"I was not planning on it. But we gotta let go before people see us. Not that I care. I'm just not up for the drama."
"No need to explain."
We broke our hug and Ethan immediately reached out for his bag, taking out two cans of energy drinks. One for him, one for me.
"This tastes really nice. I think I might get addicted to it," I said to him.
"I need to stop feeding you so much junk food," he joked.
"True. But I honestly can't say no to free food."
"Haha. Let's cut a deal."
"I'm listening."
"I jog every Monday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoon. Join me."
"That's your deal?"
"One day of all the days we spend together, you jog with me."
"Just one day?"
"Only one."
"Okay, deal. I pick Wednesdays."
"Wednesdays it is."
The only running I did was in P.E. It wasn't so bad, so I was confident that I'd be okay with running with Ethan. The bell rang and we got up, dusted ourselves off and walked to class. That morning, History was first. In History class I sat next to Paul Hendricks. He was...gay,  bubbly and very eccentric. I liked his fashion sense.
"Good morning, sweetheart," he greeted, taking out a wet wipe from his bag to wipe the chair and desk.
"Morning, baby. How are you?" I observed.
"I'm great and how are you? That glow looks amazing on you!"
"Stop. I'm in a happy place."
"So, the rumors are true then! You and our hunk!"
"Our hunk?"
"C'mon, Ethan is everyone's dream guy. Between you and me? I secretly hope that he's bi so that I could get a chance with him."
"Paul..."
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It's just that...you're so lucky. But there's no surprise there! It's you! He's got every reason to look at you the way that he does."
"He looks at all girls that way."
"Do you live under a rock? Name one girl who's been caught walking with Ethan on school grounds? Just one. You're not like the other girls and most of us can see that. He's changed."
"You don't know that for sure."
"Miss ma'am, a book fell out of my locker and Ethan picked it up for me. He didn't just walk past or kick it farther...he picked it up and gave it to me! Ethan Byers would never do that!"
"I Uh..."
"You are good for him. That boy is head over heels for you, babe. Cloud nine. It's so cute. The perfect high school love story."
"Paul..."
"You're scared, huh?"
"Sort of."
"Look, I'm not going to tell you what to do. I'll tell you what I know. I know when a guy's in love and Ethan will take a bullet for you. He wrote a freaking poem about you!"
"You're insane!"
"Stop being afraid. Have him all to yourself, hon. He's yours! Trust that! You two are the future," he winked.
What?!!! It had already started. The thing I feared the most: People involving themselves in my relationship with Ethan. Just then, a notification popped up on my screen. Ethan just posted in his story that he was listening to Love by Lana.