Chapter 3

"YOUR TURN, LITTLE One." Dr. Harrison Wells sat across from the younger girl as they played chess with each other. 

Aurora knawed on her lower lip as her eyes trailed over the board. Dr. Wells was currently beating her. She was one wrong move from being checkmated. 

The older man watched the girl as her mind poured over every possible move. He could see frustration begin to flare behind her eyes. Her brows pulled together slightly as she curled her hands into small fists. 

"You know chess isn't about making the next move," Wells spoke lightly as he pulled his glasses from his face. Aurora frowned and looked up at the man. "It's about planning out not only your next move but your next five moves. You have to think ahead. Put yourself in a good position five moves after your next one." 

Aurora slumped back into her seat. "How am I supposed to be five steps ahead if you haven't shown me your next moves." 

The man smiled and leaned forward in his wheelchair. "You have to expect what your opponent will do next. Outthink them. Know their move before they even take their next breath." 

The young girl turned her attention back to the chess board. She knew that a King couldn't take another King, any other piece could though. If she moved her Rook then his Queen could take it directly. She only had her own Rook and Queen left along with some Pawns. It seemed impossible. 

"The King is the most protected piece on the board. Kind of like you." Wells drummed on. 

"I can protect myself," Aurora argued. She hated that everyone babied her. She has proved that she can protect herself. 

Wells pointed to the pieces he took from Aurora. "How can you protect yourself if you can't even beat me in a game of chess." 

Aurora narrowed her eyes at the man. She tilted her head to the side. She could never really manage to get into his head. Sometimes she could but it was always difficult to remain within it. Almost as if he was blocking her out. But she didn't have to get inside of his head to know that he was trying to bait her to make a rash move. 

To win chess you are going to have to sacrifice a few of your own pieces to win the game. And that was Aurora's problem. She didn't want to have to lose any pieces. 

She moved her Rook directly in front of Dr. Wells' Bishop. She let out a deep breath as she knew her Rook was surrounded by Wells' pieces. 

Wells only tsked as he took his Queen and moved it diagonally across the board and took her Rook. "You have to be a step ahead, Aurora." 

The next move was hers and she used it wisely. She knew that she had to sacrifice at least one of her pieces. But she still had her own Queen and the Queen could move whichever way she wanted. She used that to her advantage because Wells left his King unguarded when he took her Rook.