Chapter 4

Nicki

I step through the open window of my bedroom after dark, clutching my phone in one hand, my journal in the other.

Then I sit cautiously on the flat roof that extends over the front porch and take a deep breath, enjoying the slight breeze.

It's only a week until the start of September, when the long, hot summer will finally begin to ease into fall.

A huge oak tree with spreading branches stands in front of the house, its massive trunk touching the bricks that have turned the front yard into a parking lot.

Several of the branches reach over the roof, with one scraping the shingles near my bedroom window.

My phone dings. It's a text from my dad, checking to see if I got moved in okay.

He'd wanted to come with me. But he can't afford to take any more time off work.

He used up all his vacation time when my mother was sick. Some of his co-workers even donated their time. But it still wasn't enough.

Dad I'm all moved in, I type. The house is ok, livable. Good thing I left when I did as me and the WW  (Wicked Witch) almost came to blows last night.

I add an SMH emoji and hope my dad will know what that means.

My mom would have lectured me for referring to her mother as the Wicked Witch; she'd have said it was wrong, no matter how much Virginia Cooke might deserve it.

But my dad understands.

My phone dings again: Glad you're ok. Wish I could have been there. Take care of yourself. You better call me if you need anything.

I start typing again: I will. I'm gonna be ok Dad. Pls. don't worry about me.

I add a couple of heart emojis and hit Send.

Then I notice I missed an earlier text from Tyesha (TT), my best friend: So are you FINALLY Ikana fucking official?

Yup, I type, smiling. I'm moved in (house sucks). I start classes tomorrow. Gotta also try to get the editor at the campus paper to give me a shot tomorrow. Wish me luck.

She responds immediately: U don't need luck sunshine. UR not like the rest of us. UR Onika rich AF Tanya Maraj.

She sends another text with a line of fist emojis that I'm not exactly sure how to interpret.

I hate when TT brings up my family.

It's basically the only time we fight, when she acts like I have no struggles because my grandmother owns the Cooke Ranch and is the most powerful politician in the state.

She acts like everything comes easy for me. Which is total bullshit.

Another text: U there? Did I piss off the princess?

Frowning, I decide to let her stew for a little while.

TT is probably sitting in her fancy dorm at OU right now with a couple of hot guys already at her beck and call. She has that ability, to get people to do whatever she wants.

We met junior year of high school when Tyesha Kollore transferred in after she was sent to yet another foster home.

For a kid from such an unstable background, she's done well for herself.

When she found out she'd earned a full scholarship to the University of Oklahoma, we stayed out all night partying.

I got grounded for that, of course. But it was totally worth it.