Chapter 28

Thanks for the 6.08k reads. I love y'all!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nicki

TT is out on the roof.

I push open my bedroom door, walking slowly so I don't spill the two cups of coffee I'm carrying.

"Hey there," I call out, "I've got coffee."

TT turns at my words and stretches her arm through the open window to take one of the cups.

"You read my mind, Nicnac. God, do I need coffee."

Her voice is hoarse, and her face, squinting into the rising sun, looks a little tense.

My face probably looks the same.

I'm already wondering if I should have stayed in Bey's room. If I should have forced her to keep talking to me.

At the very least, I should have insisted on giving her a big, comforting hug.

I should have refused to leave her side.

But I didn't. She asked me to leave, so I left.

Now I regret it.

But I don't have the guts to go back to her room right now. Instead, I just want to talk to my best friend.

I'm not going to tell her Bey's secret. As much as I would like to unburden myself, I understand I can't tell her or anyone else.

Because if I did and the story got out, Bey could get into serious trouble. I know that.

But I also know just talking to TT will make me feel better. It always has.

I crouch and step through the window, grateful for the warm air on my skin.

Oklahoma weather is always topsy turvy. One day, you're in the middle of a blizzard. The next you're reaching for a pair of shorts.

I sit beside TT on the roof and take a sip of my coffee.

She's wearing these tie-dyed pajamas we bought together sophomore year of high school. Mine are around here somewhere, I think.

I curl my free arm around her shoulders. "Sorry about last night," I say. "I didn't mean to abandon you."

TT is staring into the rust-colored leaves of the oak tree. She seems preoccupied. For a moment, I'm not sure she heard me.

Then she smiles and clutches my hand in hers.

"No worries, bestie," she says, slanting her eyes at me. "Kelly and I hung out for a little while, got to know each other."

"Did you—?" I ask, shooting up my eyebrows.

TT laughs and shakes her head, taking another sip.

"We just made out. We didn't even get close to, you know, actual fucking."

Her lips hover over the steaming coffee for a second. Her tone is light. But her expression is something different.

"I just wasn't into it," she says with a shrug. "Had other things on my mind."

She nudges me and makes a face. "And since you were off boffing the rock star, I decided to get a good night's sleep in your bed."

I give her a faint smile. I'll just let her think I was having sex with Bey all night.

It's too complicated to explain about Jason and the profile and Megan's bullshit.

Not to mention Bey's gut-wrenching story.