Chapter 29

Nicki

Three weeks later...

I hear my TT ringtone—Calm Your Tits by The Offsailors—just as I hit Submit on my story.

Stretching across the table in the newsroom to grab my phone, I send up a quick prayer that TT isn't in one of her prickly moods.

Because I'm feeling good, and I don't feel like tangling with her.

After the Sorenson debacle, I've been eager for another front-page opportunity.

And last week, I got it.

Jason assigned me a story involving possible wrong doing in the Ikana Admissions office.

It's evolved into a series of stories that will require a lot of digging, a lot of lead-following.

It's exactly what I wanted.

And I don't think my grandmother could in any way be involved.

There's been a weird silence between me and TT since Halloween. No calls. Only a couple of texts.

I've picked up the phone a few times to check on her. See if she's ready to tell me whatever it was she was holding back.

It's been bugging me, though I can't pin down exactly why. Just that something feels off.

But each time, I've put the phone back down. I guess I feel like the ball is in her court.

She'll tell me when she's ready.

So maybe she's ready now.

"Hey!" I say, pressing the phone to my ear. "I was wondering when I was going to hear from you."

"Yeah, right back at ya, bitch."

It's one of TT's standard lines and normally a sign she's in a playful mood.

But this time, there's a flat, sour edge to her voice.

"You okay?" I ask. "What's up?"

I put my feet up on the table, glad the newsroom is deserted so we can speak freely.

Most of Ikana's students left town last weekend. I guess I'm the only one crazy enough to still be working two days before Thanksgiving.

TT still hasn't said anything.

"TT?"

More silence.

This is not like her.

"Okay, now you're kinda scaring me," I say, only half in jest.

"Nicnac." Her voice wobbles.

What the hell?

"I need your help."

In all the time we've spent together, TT has never once asked for my help. Not that I can remember, anyway.

I pull my feet off the desk and sit up straight, clutching the phone tighter.

"TT, of course. What's going on?"

For a few long moments, all I hear is the soft sound of her crying.

"TT?" My mouth feels dry, and my heart is thudding. "Did someone hurt you? Tell me. I'll help you."

She lets out a harsh laugh. "No one hurt me," she responds.

Then after another long pause, she sighs heavily.

"I fucked up, Nicnac. Big time."

What on earth is she talking about?