Ch. 1 Even Steven

Chapter 1

"So are you seeing anyone?"

Elizabeth looked at the pretty blonde with pink ribbons in her hair and leaned in a bit closer.

"What?" She asked. "I didn't catch that."

"Are you seeing anyone?" the girl, Kathy, asked once more, raising her voice over the loud music.

"Oh," Elizabeth laughed. "No. Not really."

"You don't want to be in a relationship?" Kathy asked, picking up her drink.

"I do," Elizabeth nodded, picking up her own drink and taking a quick sip. "I have a Bumble account, an E-Harmony and even a Tinder....but I only seem to be meeting weirdos."

"Oh my god, my brother too!" Kathy laughed, almost spilling her drink.

Elizabeth adjusted her dress and sat her drink down. She took a bit of the dinner and chewed quietly as all the other ladies around the table chatted.

"How do you know Abby?" Kathy pointed to the bride to be at the head of the table.

"Oh we work together," Elizabeth said. "We both got hired the same school year."

"That's cool," Kathy said. "Do you teach 3rd grade too?"

"No, I teach the little ones. 1st grade."

"Wow!" Kathy giggled. "They must be a handful."

"They are, but I love them."

"That's great! It's so good to see working women love their job."

"How do you know Abby?" Elizabeth asked, she hadn't been paying attention at the start of the dinner when everyone was introduced.

"She's marrying my brother!" Kathy cheered. "My older brother! Not the one meeting the weirdos."

"Oh so you're Mike's younger sister," Elizabeth recognized her from the framed photo in Abby's classroom. "You just graduated last semester, correct?"

"Ye-" Kathy was interrupted as Abby stood up and began to tap her butter knife against her wine glass.

"Thank you all so much for making the time to be here tonight! It means so much to me," she began.

"We love you Abby!" Someone next to the bride cheered.

"I love you all so much! And I cannot walk down the aisle without you all beside me."

Everyone around the table clapped and cheered, earning curious glances from other customers at the restaurant. Abby didn't seem to care. She loved the attention and being a bride had always been her dream.

"Dinner is on me tonight but drinks are on you all!" Abby laughed. "I want to hit the club upstairs. What do you all say?"

There was another round of cheers. Elizabeth sat quietly and checked her watch.

11: 45 P.M.

As much as she loved Abby and her high energy, there was no way Elizabeth was going anywhere else that night. She wanted to rip her dress off and kick off her heels. Her dog, Osborne, was probably lonely and seconds away from ripping up her couch. She needed to get home.

As the party of twelve bridesmaids and the bride-to-be began to gather their belongings and head towards the door, Elizabeth rushed ahead to catch up with Abby at the hostess's podium. Her legs wobbled and she thanked herself for cutting off the drinks early.

"Hey, Abby," she tapped her friend on the arm.

"Lizzy-boo!" Abby smiled from ear to ear. "Are you having fun? Are the girls being nice? I don't want any drama between my girls."