Ch.14 Blue and Yellow

Chapter 14

The next day when Elizabeth returned to work, her movements were limited. She sat in her chair and wheeled around the classroom, making her little students giggle thinking she was playing a game with them. But in reality, Elizabeth's legs were so sore she couldn't stand for more than five minutes at a time. Taking another day off was a tempting idea, but Elizabeth had already used too many of her sick days and her students were falling behind.

"Are you okay, Ms. Carter?" one of the little girls asked as she watched Elizabeth wince in pain.

"Yes," Elizabeth said, bitting down on her molars to keep herself from moaning in pain.

"Why are you moving around in a chair?"

"My legs really hurt," Elizabeth said, moving near the students' desk to check their work.

"My mom says my dad really makes her legs hurt," the little girl commented as she collared her vowel teams.

"Oh," Elizabeth shrugged. "Maybe dad makes mommy run at the playground."

"No," the little girl shook her head. "My mom doesn't like to run. She just stays home and does her make up. My daddy says she looks ugly without make up."

"That's not a very nice thing to say," Elizabeth frowned. "You know, Skyler. I think your mommy is very beautiful and you look just like her."

"But I don't wear make up," the little girl, Skyler, frowned. "Daddy says beautiful girls always wear make up."

"Your daddy is wrong," Elizabeth said gently. "Beautiful girls are the ones who follow their heart."

"Okay," the little girl shrugged and went back to coloring. "Do you wear make up, Ms. Carter?"

"Sometimes," Elizabeth commented. She watched the girls match up the vowel sounds with the correct pictures as her phone vibrated on her table. She looked back and reached for it as Isaac's name appeared on the screen.

"Why are you smiling?" Skyler wondered as she watched her teacher's face light up.

"It's her boyfriend," Ariel, another student sitting beside Skyler, teased.

The girls erupted in a fit giggles. The boys looked up wondering what they were talking about. Their faces were clueless as Elizabeth held a finger up to her lips.

"Shhh, shhh," she hushed them. "Let's go back to the vowel teams."

"My mommy always smiles when she's on her phone," Ariel said. "It's her boyfriend."

"Ariel, I'm hearing a lot of talking and not seeing a whole lotta working," Elizabeth pointed to the little girl's paper. "Let's go. We have lunch soon. And then recess."

"Yay! Recess!" the students cheered as if they didn't have recess every day at the same time.

Elizabeth tucked the phone under her clipboard to check the text from Isaac. Her smile widened when she saw it was a picture he took with Osbourne by the High line.

Don't worry, the text read. I made sure to put on his shoes. He hates them by the way.

Elizabeth laughed as she zoomed into the photo of Osbourne with Isaac's arm around his. They both grinned at the camera as the sun shun in their beautiful eyes.

Did you dognap my dog? Elizabeth texted back.

Yes, Isaac replied within seconds. And I might need to do it again. He's a great wingman. Do you know how many hot girls stopped to talk to us?