Prolouge

"Mami, I'm all moved in." I mumbled flashing a smile at my roommate. We had the windows open to air out that old dorm room smell while we waiting for our newly installed air-fresheners to work. "Yes, I told you I could do it myself, no you don't need to fly out here."

Even if she wanted to, she can't.

"Mija-" Her voice was lined with stress. I knew she wanted to tell at me and lecture me to be safe and be careful in school. Especially since it's a new state and so far away from her. She's always such a worrier while my dad just sits back and tells me not to give up.

"Mami, please. I'll call you tomorrow, I promise." Before the move she made me promise to call her everyday or whenever I can. I intent to keep my word.

"Ok, te amo." She said with a slight sniffle. The second I hang up the phone she's going to cry. But I know I'm probably going to cry tonight if I'm being honest.

I can already feel the tightening of the tether that bounds us together.

Metaphorically, of course.

"No llores." I whispered, not wanting her to cry. Ever since we moved to Florida, leaving my dad in Puerto Rico, I feel like I've been having to emotionally support her. And it's very much emotionally draining. "Por favor."

"Ok, ok, no más. Adiós y cuídate." She quickly mumbled before hanging up. I laughed and shook my head, turning to face my roommate. We both squealed and ran into each other's arms. She just got back from the camp that she was in.

"Hey, Valeria!" She smiled, tightening her grip on me. I laughed and returned the gesture. I still can't believe this is our first time meeting each other in person. We've been texting since April and it's already August with move in and then school starts next week.

It feels like I know her already as cliche as it sounds.

"Hi, Kylie!" I laughed and backed away. By the time she came in, I was already done setting up my bed and the bookshelf. I just need to put away my clothes which are all inside my one giant suitcase.

"How was the flight over here?" She asked sitting on top of her bed. It was dressed with white comforters and pink throw blankets. And then my bed has light green bed sheets and white throw blankets and body pillow. The tapestries on the wall also matched our very boho aesthetic.

And the windows lined the back wall with a built in bookshelf underneath it.

"It was long, but nice, honestly." I said going back to unpacking all my clothes, I brought over some hangers from home. Only the good ones from my moms closet. I'm waiting for the call when she realized I took all of them. "How was the camp? Did you meet anybody new?"

"No! I haven't. I've been a little more shy than I'd like to admit. But! It's ok, I got us a party to go to tonight." A party?

It's only the first move in day for the general student body.

"Interesting! Where is it?" Dorm parties aren't allowed here for some reason. I grabbed a couple hangers and began hanging up everything in the closet, except my pants. I put all my pants in the dresser. Which isn't that much. I only have three pairs of jeans. But I have a lot of shorts coming from Florida to now Chicago.

"It's at some like abandoned garage or warehouse whatever." She said looking down at her phone. Kylie's from Illinois but two hours away from the University of Chicago, in the suburbs.

"I'm down!" I smiled and finished packing. That's nice that we both have similar social batteries where we like to go to parties on the weekends but not every weekend and on weekdays we stay in. Back when we were texting we would talk about it all the time.