ACT 2A - Hypothesis - Jedi in Exile

22 INT. ESCAPE POD

Drake watches out the viewport as the escape pod moves away from the Excision while both travel through hyperspace. A warning alarm sounds twice before the escape pod drops out of hyperspace while the Excision continues on. Drake sees the navigation computer display an approaching planetary system of six planets then looks out the viewport to see he is nearing a planet with rings along the equator. Drake looks at K3-N8 and sees a single flashing light.

DRAKE
K3. I hope you found a quiet spot.

Drake looks at the computer to see the approaching planet does not register humanoid life signs.

DRAKE
No life signs, but habitable.

Drake reviews the computer again.

DRAKE
Not on the charts. Even better.

Drake feels a rumbling in the pod as the vehicle enters the gravity well of the planet. Drake secures K3-N8 into a restraining harness then sits down in one of the eight passenger seats and secures his safety restraints.

DRAKE
Hold on K3.

23 EXT. ESCAPE POD DAY

The escape pod flies close to the planet with rings then guides itself through the rings of rock and ice as it races toward the surface. Reaction control thrusters fire to keep the pod angled correctly as it enters the atmosphere then a blast of flames begins to envelope the nose of the craft. Once the craft has been slowed by the boundary layer of the upper atmosphere the flames subside and reaction control thrusters guide the craft toward a safe landing zone. The planet surface is fast approaching as the landing rockets fire to slow the vehicle onto a rough yet safe flight path. The escape pod is slowed by additional rockets firing as it nears the surface. The escape pod glides along the surface until contact with the ground slows the craft to a jarring stop after a hundred meters of torn up ground.

24 EXT. PLANET SURFACE DAY

The peace and quiet of the region are broken as the hiss of air is followed by the door to an escape pod opening. Drake steps out and cautiously surveys his surroundings.

DRAKE
Not a bad landing K3.

Drake quickly inspects the exterior of the escape pod.

DRAKE
You did good.

Drake steps forward a few steps then calls to K3-N8 again.

DRAKE
Just another boring planet,
but boring is good right now.

Drake does not see or hear the droid.

DRAKE
K3?

Drake listens for a moment then goes back into the pod.

25 INT. ESCAPE POD DAY

Drake stands at the doorway of the pod and looks toward K3-N8 who has not released himself from the restraining harness as expected. Drake walks over and releases the harness manually then examines the droid.

DRAKE
K3. Can you hear me?

A few lights blink on the droid then a series of electrical arcs encompass K3-N8 causing all of his tools and arms to extend for a moment then retract followed by a whining sound. All the lights go out on the droid before it falls forward.

DRAKE
K3!

Drake catches the droid before it falls to the ground then begins to inspect the droid for damage.