e l e v e n

Spotting Damon leaning against a refreshments table, Avery couldn't hide the frown on her face

Spotting Damon leaning against a refreshments table, Avery couldn't hide the frown on her face. She'd hoped that somehow, someway, he wouldn't get invited in. It did seem strange to Avery that the Lockwoods were greeting everyone at the door and inviting them in.

"Welcome! Please, come in." They'd say.

Sure, it was the polite thing to do, but surely they had to recognise these 'animal attacks' to be the work of a vampire. The Founding Families had always been aware of the town's supernatural situation, ever since the 1860s. Zach hadn't really filled Avery in on all the ins and outs of the Town Council, but Avery had figured that they used their ancestors journals to educate themselves on the Town's... misfortunate past. So why on earth would they just invite these people into their home?

Perhaps their vampire information was not up to date. It was likely that the Council weren't even aware of vampires that could walk in the sun with the aid of spelled lapis lazuli jewellery.

Avery was knocked out of her thoughts as she saw Damon narrow his eyes. She followed his line of vision and saw Stefan pulling away from kissing Elena's cheek.

Oh, how history repeats itself..

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

Avery had found herself in one of the many rooms of the Lockwood home, well, mansion. This room in particular had been dedicated to historical artefacts of the town, all donated by founding families to the town's historical society. Avery knew that Elena's mother had been highly involved in planning the event, and wondered how Elena was feeling in that moment.

As if she'd been summonded, the beautiful brunette entered the room. She walked almost immediately over to the display holding her parent's wedding rings. Stefan approached her slowly, running his hand along Elena's back and through her hair gently. Elena jumped slightly, letting out a surprised but relieved huff as she realised it was only Stefan.

"Your parents?" Stefan questioned, quietly.

Avery chewed her lower lip, like he didn't know.

Elena inhaled deeply, breathing out as she said, "There's a lot of history here."

The couple linked fingers as they continued looking at the displays.

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

Avery wasn't sure what made her do it, but she was tapping on the brunette's shoulder before she could stop herself. Elena turned, smiling as she saw her.

"Avery, hey," She greeted. "It must be weird to have so many Salvatores here."

Avery hummed in response, turning to the framed document besides her.

"The founding families in Mystic Falls welcomes you to the inaugural founder's council celebration." She narrated, watching as Elena moved closer.

"Wow, look, Stefan," Elena murmured, pulling Stefan over to them. "It's the original guest registry."

Avery caught the flash of panic that washed over Stefan's features as he realised what it was that she'd brought Elena's attention to.

"Look at all these familiar names," Elena continued. "Sheriff William Forbes, Mayor Benjamin Lockwood.."

There was a pause, and Avery couldn't help but hold her breath as Elena noticed.

"Is that Damon Salvatore? And, Stefan Salvatore?"

Stefan fumbled for a moment under Elena's scrutinising gaze.

Suddenly a hand was pressing down on Avery's shoulders, making her gasp in surprise. 

"The original Salvatore brothers," Damon spoke, applying more pressure. "Our ancestors. Tragic story, actually."

Stefan and Elena spun, turning to face Damon and Caroline as they joined them by the registry.

"We don't need to bore them with stories of the past." Stefan interrupted, eyeing Damon warily.

Damon merely stared at him, his gaze unwavering.

Elena's sweet voice cut the building tension, "It's not boring, Stefan. I'd love to hear more about your family."

"Well, I'm bored," Caroline announced. "I wanna dance... and Damon won't dance with me."

Damon grumbled at the thought, and Caroline continued, "Could I just borrow your date?"

"Oh, um," Elena blinked in surprise, looking at Stefan.

"I don't really dance." Stefan declined politely.

"Oh, sure he does," Damon continued, making Stefan look at him with a sharp gaze. "You should see him. Waltz, the jitterbug, the moonwalk. He does it all."

"You wouldn't mind, would you, Elena?" Caroline asked again, but Avery wondered whether she was really asking.

It seemed a bit too convenient that Caroline asking Stefan to dance would leave Damon alone with Elena.

Elena half-rolled her eyes in annoyance, huffing, "It's up to Stefan."

Stefan watched Elena attempt a smile, but it was pulled tight and looked more like a grimace.

"Well sorry," Caroline said, pulling Stefan away from Elena. "But I'm not going to take no for an answer."

I wonder why, Avery thought sarcastically.

Damon watched them leave, finally removing his hands from Avery's shoulders. She almost stumbled from the action, lifting her hand to where he had been applying the pressure. She wanted to scowl, drag Elena away and just leave, but Damon was already talking.

"I want to apologise to you," Damon began, and Avery watched Elena sigh in annoyance, "For being such a world-class jerk the other night when I tried to kiss you. There's no excuse."

Damon frowned theatrically, "My therapist says I'm... Acting out, trying to punish Stefan."

Elena stifled an amused laugh, glancing over at Avery, "For what?"

"It's all in the past. I don't even want to bring it up."

Elena raised an eyebrow, clearly seeing through Damon's... performance.

"Let's just say," Damon continued, unperturbed. "That the men in the Salvatore family have been cursed with sibling rivalry. I bet Avery would agree, if she, you know, had siblings."

Something about what Damon said sent a white hot flash of nausea crashing over Avery, her knees almost buckling as she reached out to catch herself.

Damon continued, either having ignored her or not even seeing her reaction, "And it all started with the original Salvatore brothers."

A/N: happy halloween! hope you enjoy this surprise update, i've also updated atelophobia if you want to check it out!