t h r e e

Once again, Avery was in history class

Once again, Avery was in history class. She felt as if all she did was spend her time in history class, but in reality she knew the reason she was hyperaware of her surroundings was because of her unstable vampire relative that was sat across the room.

"Originally discovered nearly five centuries ago, it hasn't been over Mystic Falls in over 145 years," Mr. Tanner told the class. "Now, the comet will be its brightest right after dusk during tomorrow's celebration." He paused, turning his attention to two teenagers, "Are we bothering you? Mr. Salvatore? Ms. Gilbert?"

Avery glanced over at the aforementioned couple and a feeling of dread came over her. She attempted to shake the overwhelming feeling of worry and realised that this was only the beginning. Her negative thoughts were interrupted by the bell ringing, signalling the end of class. When she looked up, Stefan was standing over her desk with a small smile on his face.

"Hey, uh, I found this book in the library," he held up a worn copy of Wuthering Heights. "You don't mind if I give it to Elena, do you?"

Avery blinked in surprise, "I, uh, I'm surprised you even asked. I guess you can, I know she really loves the book."

"Thank you, Avery." Stefan smiled sincerely. "Can I walk you to your next class?"

Avery really didn't want him to. In fact, the more she stayed away from him, the better she felt. Stefan continued to tower over her as she sat at her desk, waiting for a response. Taking a sharp breath to calm her nerves, she mumbled a quiet 'yes', standing from her desk and following him out the door.

***

"I told you Avery would have it." Stefan smiled as both Salvatores approached the Gilbert girl.

"Wuthering Heights by Ellis Bell. You know, I can't believe she didn't use her real name."

"All the Bronte sisters used pseudonyms-" Stefan began but was interrupted by Avery. She wasn't usually the rude type who interrupts people, but she was a booknerd at heart and loved the opportunity to share some facts.

"It was the time. Female writers weren't very accepted then." She explained.

"Where did you get it?" Elena asked, finally noticing Avery's presence.

Avery looked at Stefan, who replied, "Uh, it was passed down. Through the family."

"I found it in our library a few years back." Avery smiled, continuing Stefan's white lie. Though her part was true, she did find in in their library.

"Ah." Elena said, observing the cover of the book.

"I have lots of books. Go ahead. Keep it." Stefan offered.

Avery gave him a look. He may have a lot of books in the Salvatore library, but she didn't have many. She felt a bit upset that she would lose one of the books she actually liked. Looking back, she supposed her reaction was in retaliation to the whole thing. The book was a metaphor for Avery's life, he had come in, messed up the order and taken things away.