f i v e

Avery had decided that Stefan was never going to understand what it was like being a human

Avery had decided that Stefan was never going to understand what it was like being a human. Stefan was talking with Elena when Tyler Lockwood and Matt Donovan decided to try and embarrass him by throwing a football at him while his back was turned. Avery watched as Stefan turned around just in time to catch the ball and aim it perfectly so it would knock Tyler back a few steps. Both of the boys looked at him in astonishment before Tyler glared at him harshly. Rolling her eyes at the dramatics of it all, Avery decided it was time to go to class.

***

"World War II ended in?" Mr Tanner was asking another round of questions to his unresponsive class. "Anyone got anything? Ms. Juan? 1945."

Elena was startled out of her conversation with Stefan as Mr Tanner asked her a question, "Pearl Harbor? Ms. Gilbert?"

"Hm?" Elena questioned.

He cleared his throat. "Pearl Harbor."

"Um..."

"December 7th, 1941," Stefan answered for her.

"Thank you, Miss Gilbert," Tanner said sarcastically.

A few students chuckled.

"Anytime." Stefan grinned.

"Very well." Mr Tanner was always up for a challenge. "The fall of the Berlin Wall."

"1989." Stefan replied, to which Mr Tanner looked vaguely impressed.

"I'm good with dates, sir." Stefan explained.

"Are you?" Tanner asked. "How good? Keep it to the year. Civil Rights Act."

"1964," Stefan answered.

"John F. Kennedy assassination."

"1963."

"Martin Luther King."

"'68."

"Lincoln."

"1865."

"Roe v. Wade?"

"1973."

"Brown v. Board?"

"1954."

"The Battle of Gettysburg."

"1863."

"Korean War."

"1950 to 1953."

"Ha! It ended in '52."

Tanner started to turn and walk away as Stefan said, "Uh, actually, sir, it was '53."

"Look it up. Somebody. Quickly."

"It was 19 . . 53," someone announced to the class.

 53," someone announced to the class