Two Steps Ahead.

Zaria

Waking up was dreadful to say the least.

Starting my day with only four hours of sleep wasn't the ideal plan for the day. My bed is overflowing with class notes, colorful highlighters and opened text books, reminding me of the last minute studying and late night phone conversation with Allen.

After climbing out of the bed, I headed into the kitchen for a tall glass of water. Gotta stay hydrated to keep this body healthy and satisfied. Once I entered, I noticed Jodie hovering over the stove whipping up some breakfast.

A sight I'm not used to seeing.

"What's all of this?"

She quickly turns her head once I've startled her. She glances at all of the food she managed to cook up before responding.

"Breakfast."

"I can see that but why? You never cook."

For as long as I've been her roommate, I've never seen her step foot in the kitchen unless it was to heat up some left overs. I didn't even think she knew how to turn the stove on. I'm usually the one responsible for cooking our meals so this is new.

"I figured as your roommate and close friend, I could make you something so you'll have a fresh start for your day. Plus with you being pregnant and all, you need to eat proper meals. No more pop tarts or toaster strudels on the go." She says while fixing my plate.

Aw, that's so thoughtful and sweet.

I smile to myself, watching her place a plate in front of me with a hot cup of coffee. The strong smell was overpowering, reminding me of the times when my dad used to sit at the table drinking it while reading his morning newspaper.

"Thanks Jo. I appreciate it but I don't drink coffee and even if I did, I don't think it'll be good for my baby."

I pause for a second after hearing myself own up to my reality. My baby. I like the sound of that.

She grabs the coffee mug and starts sipping from it. I couldn't help but to chuckle to myself. Stabbing at the pancakes, I could tell it was over cooked. They're rubbery instead of fluffy. As soon as I stuffed a piece into my mouth, I grabbed a napkin, spitting discreetly into it.

It's the thought that counts.

"So you finally spoke to ya man?" She asks while fixing her plate.

I give her a look, wondering how she knew that. She looks back at me before continuing on.

"I heard you talking throughout the night and earlier this morning."

"Sorry, I just really miss him."

I can't lie, I was on the brink of changing my mind, ready to tell Allen to book his flight and come see me. I really needed him here to distract me from the busy deadlines I'll have to face. Plus I just want to be held in his arms. It's cool to hear his soothing voice but I'm in need of more.

Everyone deserves to be babied by their significant every now and then.

"First you ignore him and now you miss him."