Party and Some Bullshit.

Happy New Year!

Zaria

"What's the most difficult thing about being married to Allen Iverson?" Coach Thompson asks me.

I took a moment to let that question process within while keeping a subtle smile on my face.

The most difficult thing about being married to Allen Iverson? Tuh. I have a list.

"I'll have to say the most difficult thing would be hearing the negative things people say about him. Especially when I know what's real." I respond.

I could see Allen staring down at our sleeping son out of my peripheral view.

"What is real about him? Is it his jewelry? His braids? His tattoos? What's real?" Coach Thompson eggs on, making the two of us laugh.

I leaned more into Allen while answering the question.

"That's real but it's just external. Whereas on the inside, he has a great big heart. He's thoughtful and caring, even if occasionally he hides that side of himself. He's not perfect and he doesn't claim to be. He's more good than bad. More of a hard worker than among the blessed. Most importantly, he gives people hope." I speak truthfully.

What I shared was nothing but the truth. Just not completely honest, if that makes sense.

Once that interview was over, we stuck around and had a few laughs with Coach Thompson before it was time for us to go.

"I appreciate you. This meant a lot."

I nod, agreeing with Allen as the two of them continued talking amongst each other. This would be my first time getting interviewed about Allen with Allen so what other person is better than Mr. John Thompson himself.

"I hope to see you at your best tonight." He says to Allen while pulling him into a strong hug.

The two of them got to exchanging more basketball language as I stood nearby admiring how much respect Allen holds for his old coach. It reminds me of a healthy father and son relationship. You could see how Allen automatically becomes childlike in Mr. Thompson's presence.

"And you young lady, it was good to see you again."

"It was good to see you again too." I say while giving him a hug myself.

Once we were done with our final goodbyes we started making our way out to the parking lot. I held Deuce close as he cooed and laughed at his father's antics from behind me. Getting to the truck, Allen opened the backseat door for me and stood nearby, watching me strap our son into his car seat.

"Where to next? I'm really craving some fried chicken, steak or something."

I adjusted the straps on Deuce's chest and belly before kissing his precious face.

"I'm 'bout to head out to the arena."

I turned to Allen with a slight frown on my face, pushing the loose strands of my hair behind my ear.

"Now? You have at least six hours until tip off." I responded while looking down at my tiny wristwatch.

"The trainer gotta check my knee for me. It's gonna take forever since she got half the team to work with so I gotta get there before them."