Day 1: Be Useful!

Sun gave me a quick rundown on how to sign the kids in and make sure there was only one guardian assigned for pick up. There could be an emergency contact and an alternative person over eighteen who could sign a child out, but explicit signatures were required. All first time guests signed a waiver and seasonal pass holders swiftly went through the procedures with practiced ease.

Surprising enough, I think I got the hang of it!

After the 12:30pm freeze on sign ins I was finally able to make my way down the employee stairs into the play area. Kids couldn't be signed in again until after nap time, in order to ensure all kids had enough wind down time before rest and no one would disturb their sleep.

I honestly didn't know where to start, the place was just so lively. Now that I was able to get a good look at the place, I would have loved it if I were younger. I still appreciate it, but I know for a fact this chubbiness is not going to fit through that play structure.

Sun spotted me and waved me down.

"Little ladies and tiny gentlemen, I have an announcement!" He wasn't going to-

"I'd like to introduce you to my new friend!" oh no, he is.

"This is our new friend Rose, she's going to play with us all day! And she's going to help with nap time too!"

The kids stayed quiet for a moment. Oh no, do they automatically just not like me!?!? Oh gosh what if I actually am repellent for children, will I ever get to open that orphanage if no one is happy with my presence? What if-

"She looks like my momma"

What?

"No! She looks like a star! My momma says that people with little dots on their face become stars!" huh, I've never heard anyone say that about freckles.

"Noooooo! Both are wrong! She looks like a princess. My dad says that princesses always wear a flower in their hair so the hunning-birds know where to fly!" crochet flowers suddenly mean princess status?????

Okay I wasn't expecting that?

"You dumb-dumb! It's called a hummingbird!"

While Sun tries to quell the warring kids, a small little girl pulls on my pants.

"They're all lying, you look like my big sister. She is very nice, but mom kicked her out of the house when she got a bad grade. My big sister brought me here today though, she says as long as people have nice eyes they are good people. You have pretty eyes so you are a good people"

What do I say to that???

I bent down so I was at eye level with her, "your big sister sounds very nice. What does she like to play with you?"

"Big sister plays tag with me!"

"Oh? Should we ask Sun to play tag?"

"Yea! That way the kids yelling over there can be happy again!", a very observative girl.

"Oh Suuuun!"

Sun stops his struggle to reign in the troubled kids when he hears me. He turns his head slightly indicating his attention and soon the other two kids follow.

"Little...." oof, forgot to ask her name, she notices and whispers, "Abby".

"Little Abby suggests we play tag!"

"Wowowow little Abby that's a great idea! What do we all say?" he gestures towards the kids, who respond with practiced conviction, "thank you Abby!".

And so the longest nine games of tag were played...