Switching Stares

"I swear, I can't think anymore," Harry complained, closing his book shut and shoving it in his bag. Being dumped in homework, breathing heavily, sweat dripping from the hours of skimming through books and writing on parchments, he was tired. He was frustrated and he couldn't concentrate well. Harry took his glasses off, folded them, and posed in a slouching posture while staring at the ceiling.

Harry hated being behind the class. Sure, he wasn't nearly as studious and academic as Hermione, but he would study for a week without sleeping just to not get a score lower than Ron's tests. Hermione glanced at Harry. She placed her book down and patted Harry on the back with a small smile.

"Oh, come on, Harry," she said, "I know you're falling behind a bit, but you'll manage!"

Harry rolled his eyes and pouted. "Sure, of course I'll manage."

He grabbed three of his books from the desk and opened his bag. While chewing his lip, Harry gently placed the three books inside his bag. Then he shoved his quill and ink in a slightly rough fashion. Flinging the bag over his shoulder aggressively, Harry stood up, walked outside with Hermione following behind him, and mindlessly gazed at the sky outside while walking. The gray atmosphere was covered with a thin sheet of clouds and the icy breeze flew to his hair. Ron ran towards them from the end of a corridor when they went through a shortcut. He leaned on Harry, panting hard. He straightened himself after a minute, a glare fixed at the two of them.

"Oi! How come you just ditched me like that!" Ron exclaimed. Harry grinned and scratched the back of his head.

"Oh, come on Ron, let's just go." Ron rolled his eyes and they trotted to Professor Remus Lupin's class. When they arrived, the lions and badgers had gathered around the room and Professor Lupin was explaining something. Behind him is a wardrobe with mirrors on its doors. Harry wondered what it was for. When Lupin noticed that they were there, he greeted them with a warm smile.

"Ah, you arrived at last! I was worried you were skipping classes," Lupin chuckled.

The trio grinned shyly. "Sorry professor, we're late."

"It's alright! Now, back to what I was saying ..." Lupin walked towards the wardrobe. Students were standing stiff, surrounding the cabinet. Some looked interested as to what was inside, others were terrified. With every noise or bump the cabinet took, a few scared noises could be heard from around the room.

"Can anyone guess what's inside?" Hermione raised her hand immediately.

Lupin beamed at her. "Yes, Ms. Granger?"

Hermione took a deep breath. "It's a boggart, professor."

The cabinet rattled and Harry wondered why it was inside the wardrobe. Perhaps it's shy? Or maybe it's just built like that. Everyone gazed into the wardrobe with great interest. While doing so, Harry caught Cedric Diggory staring at him. The boy quickly averted his eyes the moment Harry glanced at him. He chuckled. It was obvious that he knew. The fifth year has been pining after him for some time. He could see the faint blush Cedric has always prayed he wouldn't notice whenever they are talking. He shook his head and turned to Lupin again.

"Very good," he said, "now, can anyone tell me what a boggart looks like?"

"Nobody knows," a gryffindor answered. "Boggarts are shapeshifters. They can take the form of whatever you fear the most. That's what makes them so ... terrifying."

"Excellent!" Professor Lupin exclaimed. "Good thing that there is a simple spell that can stop that. Let's practice reciting it first. Repeat after me, Riddikulus!" The slight emphasis on the professor's pronunciation made Hermione laugh beside Harry.