4. Disturbance

It was after dinner that Valis decided that she would call upon her uncle for answers regarding Skywalker.

For now, she engaged in light conversation while eating a fine selection of fruits and meat. Padmé was imperative that whilst on Coruscant she would have dinner with her handmaidens; just like on Naboo.

Whilst they sat around the dining table in the Senator's apartment, Valis talked about her time in the trade district where she had gone to collect her newly ordered robes. Dormé was fascinated by descriptions of the alien locals, however, Padmé appeared oddly distant and aloof.

'Are you okay, my lady?' Valis asked, noticing the former Queen's quietness.

Padmé, who had been poking idly at her roasted Porg, laid down her fork and sighed. 'I don't like that the Jedi are watching me,' she said honestly, her eyes glancing at the camera that sat in the corner of the ceiling.

Dormé, ever the voice of genteel reason, reassured her mistress; 'They must be aware of intruders, my lady, it is for your own safety.'

Valis took a sip of her grape juice and then swirled the contents as she thought for a moment, the purple liquid dancing against the glass. Dormé was right of course, but Valis sympathised with the Senator. The thought of Jedi watching her made Valis' skin crawl, albeit not for the same reason as Padmé.

'I have a suggestion,' Valis announced to the two women, 'why not simply cover the cameras?'

'I don't think Master Kenobi will accept that,' Dormé countered, reaching for a napkin to pat her mouth.

Padmé sat back in her high-backed chair and nodded, her brown curls bouncing with the movement, 'I'm afraid Dormé is right,' she agreed.

Valis paused for a moment, she could see no reason why it wouldn't work. 'At least cover the camera in your bedroom, my lady. I am happy to inform the Jedi,' she urged, 'have the droid R2D2 set to detect any disturbances, I am sure they will find no fault in that.'

It was a fair and logical suggestion, one that Padmé did not take long to consider. 'Very well,' she said, 'I will sleep easier knowing that I am not being spied on.'

The Senator's comfort in the idea satisfied Dormé and she did not object to the plan any further. After arranging for Valis to inform the Jedi following a visit to the Chancellor, the dinner was over and Padmé retired to her quarters.

~

When Valis arrived at his office, Chancellor Palpatine was sitting at his desk with his grey head buried in papers and scrolls. Behind him the night skyline of Coruscant was ablaze with a host of vibrant colours. The planet seemed to come alive at night.

'Come in my dear,' he called to her, sensing Valis' presence without the need to look up from his work.

At this time, Palpatine's office was empty and quiet. She walked across it with purpose, feeling somewhat empowered by her surroundings. After all, this was the heart of Palpatine power.

'Uncle,' she said, coming to a stop by his desk, 'I must talk to you about something that...,' she chose her words carefully, 'concerns me.'

The Chancellor looked up at his niece who, in the dim light of the office, looked like a ghost. The Dark Side was taking a hold of her, slowly changing her, and it made him proud to see her becoming a Sith. 'Skywalker,' he said simply, 'I see you've met.'

Valis nodded, 'This afternoon, he arrived with the Jedi Kenobi.'

'As anticipated.' Chancellor Palpatine rose from his chair with a smile on his face. 'Come Valis,' he offered, 'walk with me.'