14. Fire

{All aboard the Valis x Anakin train, there's no going back now.}

Dinner that evening was a pleasant affair.

Valis watched the Jedi subtly over the rim of her wine glass. Dyad. Force bond. Future.

As she repeated the words in her mind, it was strange to think of how much her life had begun to revolve around him; a Jedi Knight whom she had only met a few months ago. A man who should, for all intents and purposes, be her enemy.

Moments ago, Anakin had playfully used the Force to float slices of fruit across the table to herself and Padmé and it had amused Valis, even causing a smile to spread across her face as she witnessed him show off.

He wore a beige linen shirt, rolled up at the cuffs and tucked loosely into his brown slacks; there was something appealing about seeing him in such a relaxed state, especially surrounded by the soft glow of candlelight. She could not help but steal glances at his hands.

I've had too much wine, she thought when she caught herself staring idly at the Jedi again.

In truth, she had a high tolerance for alcohol, but she would rather believe that she was tipsy than accept the fact that she lusted for him. Taking another small sip of wine, she decided to distract herself by adding to the conversation, the flow of which had been moving slowly and naturally all evening.

Valis cleared her throat and sat back in her seat. 'Am I right in thinking that the poet Omar Berenko wrote his most famous poem in this room?' She asked her companions, whilst her gaze explored the circular room in which they dined.

Padmé nodded with a smile. 'Yes,' she replied as she joined her handmaiden in admiration of their surroundings, 'it's the Room of Morning Mists.'

Anakin, who had finished eating and was now enjoying the visually appealing nature of the company he found himself in, had never heard of Omar Berenko. 'I suppose I can see why it's called that,' he added as his eyes darted between Valis and the Senator, not wanting to be left out of the conversation.

It was indeed unsurprising that the room had been blessed with such a name, given that it was situated on the highest level of the lake retreat and almost entirely open to the elements.

'I believe the poem is called Defense of Naboo,' Valis remarked with a smile.

'Correct again,' Padmé shot her handmaiden an amused glance across the table, 'I didn't realise you enjoyed poetry, Valis.'

With a light chuckle, Valis shrugged. 'Some of my closest friends were books growing up,' she explained calmly, 'the Hill Country is just as isolated as this place and we did not often have visitors.'

'That sounds lonely,' Padmé said sadly, her eyes filled with pity as she looked at her.

'At times,' Valis nodded slowly, 'but I learnt to enjoy my own company and that is not a bad thing.' She managed a small smile, ignoring the pity that she saw directed at her. Her words were entirely honest and once they had left her mouth, she was slightly surprised at her own openness.

'You would survive well on Tatooine,' Anakin commented with a hint of amusement, his grey-blue eyes fixed on her face, 'there's nothing lonelier than the Dune Sea...unless you encounter some Jawas, but they aren't so bad.'

He had been studying Valis as she spoke, imagining what she was like as child, alone with her books. He had often felt the same, only instead he had found company in droids and fixing things.

Before Valis could reply, a quiet yawn was heard.

Padmé chuckled, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment. 'Sorry,' she said quickly, 'I think that's a clear sign that I should retire.' She shuffled back in her seat and stood up, tossing her fabric napkin on to the table. 'But don't let me disrupt your evening,' she added politely as she smiled at her companions, 'stay if you want to.'