I woke to the sound of Calypso chastising someone, undoubtedly their dearly beloved. "You know eggs disagree with my delicate digestive tract!"

Sure enough, Cosmo's voice came next. "I'm so sorry, my love, my deepest and most heartfelt apologies, my daring, it did slip my mind. Completely my fault. Perhaps some granola may be had?"

It was mid morning by the sun, and I recalled the events of the previous night with a sudden rush of emotions.

There you are, Grim said in my head. Good morning. And clearly I missed something, evidenced by that explosion of feelings.

I sat up, yawning, and pushed back the blanket. You should have woken me, I answered, ignoring the rest.

I should have, he agreed. But your snore was just too amusing.

I shook my head. I hate you.

Besides that, half of the royal couple just ended their slumber, so there was no point before that. His eye-rolling was evident in his tone. We should have them home by afternoon, with luck.

I put my things into my other-dimension room and stepped from my tent, putting my hand up against the strong sunlight. "Morning," I said to everyone in general. Sylvie gave me a little wave from where she sat carving and I returned it, thinking of her thumb drawing on my palm.

Grimmer's mental eyebrows shot up as he picked up on the picture in my mind. So I did miss something, my oh my.

Shut up Grim, I returned automatically, my delight ramping up at the little smile she was giving me. But yes you did. I went to where the pixies sat, holding out a bag of granola to the pixies. "Maybe this will help?"

Cosmo leapt to take it, bowing. "Thank you so much, your hospitality is so appreciated. Warmest regards." He turned to Calypso. "Look, my dumpling, here is something lovely for your fragile tummy."

They eyed the bag critically. "I do not see any raisins, but I suppose it will have to do."

"You're welcome," I said, heading back to the remains of the fire to pour myself coffee.

We left soon after and made our way toward the pixie's home. They flew just as fast as Grim, and we had traveled more than halfway along our route before we had to detour.

The pull to go West instead of continuing North began at that point, an internal tug that was nearly impossible for us to ignore.

Of course, Grimmer sent, sighing. He was somewhat eager to be rid of our guests. But part of being who we were was following the path laid out for us, and we had long ago come to accept it.

"We have to take the scenic route for a bit," I announced in a voice loud enough for all to hear as we veered left. Sylvie's arms encircling my midsection were even more of a distraction than usual after the previous night, not that I minded. Perhaps it was only my imagination that she was more relaxed against me, though I didn't think so. "Grim and I need to make a small stop."

I was expecting an outcry and wasn't disappointed. "For what reason?" Calypso demanded. "We are weary and desire to be home!"

"I'm certain there's a very good reason, my love," Cosmo soothed at their side. "Perhaps a dire situation. A calamity of sorts."

"There is a good reason," I agreed, though I could see the waves of brown exhaustion and the turquoise of homesickness surrounding them. "Someone is in danger, and we are called to assist."

The royal pixie fretted. "No doubt another savior will come to their aid; it is of the utmost importance we reach the palace today!"

"Had we done that to you, you would like as not still be in a rolling cage," Grim pointed out, rather patiently. He too understood their fatigue.

"A valid point," they allowed upon consideration. "Very well. Hopefully it will not take much time."

"I'm sure it won't, my dear. Fast and easy and home before nightfall, you'll see," Cosmo hurried to appease them, and the two fell back.

"Do you have any idea what it is?" Sylvie asked close to my ear.

My eyes widened momentarily at the effect this had on my butterflies. I tried to make my voice sound normal as I turned my head to answer. "No, we never do. Hopefully nothing major this time." I didn't need another opportunity to make a fool of myself.

You overthink things, my best friend felt the need to remind me. Just a little bit.

Yeah, yeah.

And by a little bit, I mean a lot, he went on.

Go on, get it out of your system.

And by a lot, I mean too much, he added, as I'd known he would.

Feel free to leave me with my thoughts, I sent, ignoring his silent laughter.

We hadn't gone far when our task became evident. Below us, a chimera had two orc children trapped against a towering redwood tree, the crown of which matched our flighted height.

"Hang on," Grim told us, wanting the element of surprise, which involved swooping down steeply. "Stay up here," he advised our small companions.

I found it hard to think past the arms tightening around me as we dove, the softness of her pressed against my back as I held on fast to the saddle horn.

The winged creature heard us just as we landed behind it, and turned its lion head to blast fire at us. It was slighter than Grimmer and not as powerful, but the tail on the large goat body ended in a venomous snake head, and was to be avoided.

Grim returned the flame, brighter and hotter, as Sylvie and I slid off. I ran to the children, one of whom was nearly as tall as I was; adult orcs towered above humans. The dark green-grey of their skin was visible around the light armor they wore on their thick bodies, and small tusks rose from their exaggerated lower jaws. "We're friends," I said, hurrying them behind the tree and out of harm's way. "It's okay now. Stay here."

I heard the enraged scream of the chimera and moved to see Grim knock it halfway across the clearing with his tail. It rebounded faster than he could react, scorching him on his left shoulder and upper leg.

I could feel his pain and mentally recoiled, though his tough hide protected him from the worst of it. "You'll pay for that!" he roared, rearing up and swiping it with his tail again. It moved to avoid the blow, striking with the snake head, sinking fangs deep into his softer underside just as Sylvie planted an arrow deep into its chest.

Grim! I raced to him even as the chimera screeched again, weaker, trying to rise while its life ran out of it in a crimson river. Its tail continued to slither through the air, seeking another target, and I pushed Sylvie behind me unceremoniously lest it strike her too. "Stay back!"

The tail was dying now though, along with its host, which took a final breath and released it in a shaky cry that gave me chills up my spine.

The children came into sight and cowered. "Don't eat us!" the older one cried in a croaky voice, his arms tight around the younger.

"I don't eat orcs," Grim said breathlessly, allowing his legs to buckle. "Or pixies," he added pointedly through the maroon haze of pain radiating from the wounds.

"Most likely due to our small size being insufficient mouthful," Calypso mused as the pixies landed.

I ignored them, my attention on my other-dimensional storage space, where I kept a potent magical antivenom. Almost got it, I told him, trying not to panic as I knocked things off of shelves feeling for the right bottle. That was the drawback of the unique room; I could only find things by touch, and had no view in there.

Don't mind me, he sent, rolling onto his side as a creeping paralysis spread. I'll just lay here for now. Not much scared him, but fear was taking its rightful place now, which didn't help my own as they were one and the same in such instances. Take your time. For all his flippancy I could feel his consciousness fading.

I had to find that bottle.