eleven

Finally, my fingers closed upon the correct one. "Here!" I yanked it out and twisted the top off, nearly spilling it in the process. "C'mon," I said under my breath, and then Sylvie's reassuring hand was covering mine, steadying it as I moved it over the bite marks. A gentle and deliberate tilt allowed a few drops to enter each hole.

The effect was nearly immediate, which I could feel from him before he spoke. "Working," he breathed, cerulean relief mixing with mine. Maybe you could organize those vials at some point. Just a thought. Might come in handy someday when one of us is, I don't know, dying or something.

I will, I answered, meaning it. I saw the pixies were with the children. "Are you okay?" I asked aloud.

He brought himself upright and examined his burn. "Of course." He glanced at Sylvie, and now a deep embarrassment tinged his aura light green. "Thank you. We are not usually bumbling idiots," he said wryly. "I can see why Lor's distracted, but I personally have no excuse whatsoever."

I realized what he'd said. Grim! Did you REALLY just?!

But the pleased little smile on her exquisite face lessened the sting of disloyalty. A lot.

You're welcome, he told me smugly.

"These things happen," Sylvie said diplomatically in response to him, retrieving her arrow with a sickening yank. "And you'll recall I was there when you two decimated my captors. There is no question of your capabilities."

Grim was mollified. "That was a grand display," he agreed, because it had been. Sometimes magic was fueled by anger, and ours had been great that day.

She eyed the dead animal and shuddered. "I've never seen one before. They're truly frightening." She nodded at me as I magicked the arrow clean so she could return it to the quiver.

I replaced the bottle on the shelf until I had time to put it all in a neater order. "This is our third, but the first we've let get the best of us." Grim's burn needed attention but for the moment I turned to the children.

Calypso was using their white handkerchief to clean the younger orc's face. "There, now, that's better. We'll have you back to your clan before the hour's out. This dragon appears quite fearsome and horrible but is surprisingly sociable."

Grimmer blew smoke from his nose. "Quite sociable indeed, one might just say friendly perhaps, a good and kind savior sort of dragon, even."

"The best and most courageous of dragons indeed," Cosmo enthused. "Valorous and strong. And pure of heart, naturally."

"Naturally," I echoed, straight-faced. I got some jerky and pieces of chocolate from my bag, along with a water container. I offered these as I approached the youngsters once again. "You must be hungry after your ordeal. Is your home far from here?"

The elder one took the food and handed some down. "No. We were fetching water when the monster chased us. I'm Grurg, and this is Erlog."

"I not scared," Erlog announced in a guttural yet toddler-like voice, tearing into the dried meat. He had a scorch mark on his cheek, and blisters from the heat. "Nothing scare orcs!"

"You are very brave," I agreed, exchanging an amused smile with Sylvie. I turned away so he didn't see my hand and wrist disappear and found the salve I had used on Sylvie. The jar was light and I knew I would have to make another one soon, a somewhat daunting task as it was pretty draining. "Hold still," I said, opening the lid. "This won't hurt. I'm a medicine woman."

He paused between bites and screwed up his sweet little face, allowing me to dab some of the cream on. The blistered patch disappeared completely. He opened his eyes cautiously and felt the area. "Is better," he grunted. His eyes fell upon the chimera and lit up. "Grurg and Erlog take monster head to clan!"