nineteen

I probably could have slept the following day too but the urgent pull of a rescue drove us from slumber just after dawn. Sylvie lay next to me, on her stomach with her head turned to the side, the pillow a foot away. I carefully eased out of the blankets, causing her to roll over and mumble something and smile a little in her sleep. I hoped she was dreaming about me.

I woke her with a cup of coffee a few minutes later, plenty of chocolate mixed in it, and we hurried to pack. We flew for nearly six hours with few breaks, to warmer land in the South, and finally found ourselves above a deep forest. The ancient, powerful magic in the air there was nearly tangible and drew us steadfastly toward a break in the trees. A river was there, and we had just enough room to land on one bank.

Ah, my rescuers, sent a telepathic voice like wind chimes made of a thousand tiny shells.

We all focused on the source in something akin to disbelief. A Unicorn was laying at the base of the nearest tree, shimmery black, smaller and more slender than a horse. Their mane and tail were a blue several shades darker than Sylvie's skin. A spiraled horn as long as my arm adorned their forehead, and the brightest aura I'd ever seen emanated from them, with colors I didn't have names for.

Without even thinking, I took a knee, because it was this creature the Old Magic radiated from and I was humbled beyond imagination to be in such a presence. Sylvie did the same, and Grim bowed his head in respect. "If I may, we are Dragon Questers and will help in any way we can," I offered. "I'm Lorali, this is Grimmer and Sylvie."

The silent laugh was merry. I know a Quester when I see one, child, though it has been some times since I've spoken with any. The same is true of the Jundi warriors. We are well met. And I sent for you, for it is aide indeed  of which I am in need.

I was incredulous. A Unicorn! Sent! for us! I told Grim wondrously.

I still can't get over them being real, he answered, just as awed as I was. We had been told they were mythological creatures, not to mention white. Why wouldn't we have been told of other Questers seeing one?

Our private conversation turned out to be not so private. Oh, we're quite real, they assured us. And one cannot speak of meeting a unicorn to any being who hasn't met one themselves. My name is Ameretat, she/her, and some foolhardy mage with a death wish has set a trap to which I've become victim. It is not only iron, my sole weakness, but also inexplicably spelled to impair magic even such as mine.

We drew closer and could see the heavy jaws of the bear trap biting into her muscular leg just above the ankle. The spells carved into it were in a language we didn't know.

Between the four of us, we should be able to open it, she continued. if you don't mind a brief loan of power to me.

"I don't have any magic, only energy to offer," Sylvie said quickly. "But if I did, you would be more than welcome to it."

Ameretat appraised her for a few long moments before speaking. And I would appreciate that. The three of us, then. She looked to Grim and me. As you are unaffected by the iron, I'll ask that you work to open it, and we will touch you. It may feel strange when I draw upon your power but be assured I will not harm you, and when it is removed I will replenish what you gave.

I would have jumped into an open fire pit had she asked it of me and Grim felt the same. I sensed no hesitation from Sylvie either, and we all did as she directed; she held my wrist and placed her other hand on the shoulder of Ameretat.

The immortal creature lowered her head so as to touch me with her horn, and I could feel the immediate faint but steady drain of my magic, which was sort of like being unable to catch your breath completely. Unpleasant, but not too bad. Grim stepped on the release lever with his dragon weight, and I put as many dampening and interrupting spells on it as I could think of.