Disintegration (Jo's perspective)

Max fumbles over his words a bit. He's struggling to find them. I realise then that I've just told Max my whole past. More or less. Suddenly I'm not sure why I did that. The tidal wave of panic that only just left my brain returns to my already cluttered thoughts. Before I even realise what's going on, I've gotten up and left the room. I'm climbing up the ladder - out of the safety of the tunnel. Now I'm running. As fast as I can. My heart is racing, my lungs burning, legs sore as tears stream down my face. I don't know where I am. All I can hear is a ringing in my ears. I can't keep this up for much longer. I stumble over some fallen bricks and that does it. I stop running. I stand, glued to the spot, crying, panting, panicking, wishing my mother was here. I want to scream. But I can't. I won't. Or maybe I will. I'm not sure. All I can do now is stand here and cry. Let myself fade into the silence. Do I really deserve this? Did I deserve to be lied to by my 'father'? Is it my fault? Knowing me, probably.
"Jonesy! Jo..." Max's voice cuts through the silence like a knife. It's almost as if the non-existent knife stabs be because suddenly, I start to tremble. I feel like my legs can't hold the rest of me, so I just let myself collapse. Max runs up to me. He kneels down beside me. I'm still crying.
"Holy crap, it's freezing,"  Max whispers next to me. "Oh yeah.." I reply, only then realising just how cold it is. My heart is still soaring. Until he rests his hand on my shoulder. I don't know why, but his presence his comforting. I allow my breathing to slow down, accept the patch of warmth where his hand is and my thoughts start to disintegrate. The world around starts becoming real again.