~| 𝘧𝘪𝘨𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘰𝘶𝘵 | 𝗍𝗈𝗆 𝗁𝗂𝖽𝖽𝗅𝖾𝗌𝗍𝗈𝗇 |~

story: male x fem! reader
Y/N pronouns + identity: she/her, female, straight
celebrity pronouns + identity: he/him, male, straight
includes: (sad) fluff
time: 2019
warnings: Sad story
notes:  I was going to make it a sad ending with an alternative ending. BUT I HATE SAD ENDINGS TOO MUCH TO DO THAT//I respect Tom's relationship with Zawe irl! This is just fiction. I heard they are engaged and I am incredibly happy for them. They deserve to be happy :>.
words: 1115
——————
song: Figure It Out
artist: Anthony Ramos
"Why do I push through the day like tomorrow's gonna Figure It Out?..."

——————"You know what, I'm done with this

——————
"You know what, I'm done with this. I'm not ending my night like this."

The words that ended last night's argument had remained in Tom's head since the night before.

You and Tom argued a lot lately. Neither of you thought you would argue like this after your 8 years of dating. If someone told you both 3 years ago that the both of you would be in a relationship like this in the future, you and Tom's past selves would've laughed in their faces.

You and Tom's relationship before wasn't as chaotic as it was now. Fans even recall those past moments, saying those years were their favourites. You and Tom agreed with them. You both missed those nights where you wouldn't argue for hours. You missed those nights where you both cuddled until you both fell asleep.

Nowadays, your arguments would either end up with a final sentence or, well... sex. Or like last night, it would end with both.

Tom glanced over to the empty space in your shared bed. The space that was taken by his lover. The lover who had a beautiful smile that he woke up to every morning. The lover who he shared lustful nights with. The lover who he had their usual, everyday arguments with.

Tom hated arguing with you. He really did. He loved you more than anything. He cared for you more than anything. He wished that these times would be happier. He wished that you both didn't need to have couples therapy every week. He wished that it would all end so that the both of you could be happy.

Maybe that was the answer to all of it? To end all of this pain for the best?
——————
"Y/N."

You looked up to Tom from your book. "Yes, Tom?" You answered. He looked at you for a few moments, before sighing and speaking up.

"We need to talk." Tom spoke. You slightly flinched at the words. You knew those words extremely well. Those were the words that started the chaos. No matter what tone they were said in, whether it be an angered or saddened tone, it would start an argument.

This time, however, you didn't think it would be as chaotic.

"Oh, sure." You said as you closed your book. Tom then went over and sat next to you. The both of you sat in silence for a few moments before Tom finally spoke up. "You know I love you, right?" He asked you, making you smile slightly and nod at him. Tom returned the smile.

"And I know that you feel the same way, correct?" He continued, making you nod again. "Of course." You responded.

"I want the both of us to be happy." Tom said after a sigh, "I want us to find peace and love in our lives." He continued. He looked down nervously before speaking up. "But right now, I think we need space from each other to find that for ourselves." He said hesitantly.

"I think we need a break.." Tom sighed as he looked down.

You stared at him in silence, regaining your thoughts before speaking up.

"I agree."

Tom looked up to you, slightly surprised at your response. "I've been thinking we need a break as well." You admitted nervously, smiling sadly at him. Tom nodded and smiled back at you sadly in agreement before letting out another small, sad exhale.

"Do you think that we're ever going to get back together?" Tom asked hesitantly. You shrugged, "I don't know." You sighed,

"I guess we'll let time figure it out."
~ 2 years later ~

"Y/N?"

You looked up from your book and saw the one and only, Tom Hiddleston standing there with his hands stuffed into his coat pockets.

You were currently at the cafe, having some time to yourself. You were reading a book while you sipped your Earl Grey Tea that you ordered.

You were by your self until Tom was there.

"Tom! Hi!" You greeted him with a smile. "Hello!" Tom greeted you back. You placed your book down before getting up from your seat. You and Tom embraced each other for a few moments before pulling away and going to sit in the booth you were reading in.

"So, Miss Y/L/N. How have you been?" Tom asked as he sat in the seat across from you, making you giggle.

"I've been good. How about you, Mr Hiddleston?" You asked with a grin. Tom chuckled, "I've been well, thank you." He responded.

The both of you continued to talk together. You haven't really seen each other since the break up. Though, you tried to remain as friends. Whenever you saw each other at events, you caught up a little bit. Other than that, you rarely talked. So catching up like this was pretty rare, but really fun.

It's been an hour or two and the both of you are still talking and laughing. It was like you both were still together and going on a date.

But you weren't dating anymore. For now at least.

"How has your relationship been, if you don't mind me asking?" You questioned as you took a sip from the tea you ordered earlier. Tom's smile faded slightly as he let out a sigh. "We didn't really work out." He said hesitantly. You frowned slightly, feeling bad for him.

"Aw, I'm so sorry. Do you want to talk about it?" You asked him gently. He shrugged.

"It just felt weird to me. It was hard to move on from.. us. I wanted you back, but didn't want to disturb you either." Tom explained.

You had to admit, you went through the same thing. You had another relationship once you and Tom broke up, but it didn't work out either. So, you decided to wait and let time figure out whether you and Tom were meant to be together or with other people.

You looked down nervously at your fidgeting hands that rested on the table. Suddenly, you saw both of Tom's hands gently take yours.

"Are you willing to give us a second chance?" Tom asked gently.

You thought for a second, trying to weigh out the pros and cons. It could end up like a messy relationship like it was last time. Or, it could actually be worth it. The both of you could actually have a happy life together. You continued to think before coming up with your final answer.

"I guess a second chance wouldn't hurt..." You smiled softly. A wide smile appeared on his face.

"Yes!" Tom said with a hint of extreme glee and excitement,

"We'll figure it out together..."