vii

Tony had followed me upstairs, knocking on my door and asking for me to please talk to him, but I couldn't do it. I couldn't look him in the eye as he told me that I would be living somewhere else and couldn't do anything about it.

I stayed silent, not trusting myself to speak. After nearly fifteen minutes he told me to find him when I was ready to talk, and disappeared downstairs to keep working.

As soon as he left, I started crying all over again.

I had always hated crying. It made me feel weak. But at that point I didn't even care. My life was going to be uprooted and that was devastating.

I spent the rest of the day up there, mostly staring out my window and around my room, trying to memorize every detail, knowing I would miss it.

That place was my first home since everything with my mom happened. It meant so much to me, more than I could ever describe, and I was going to miss it so much.

I needed to talk to Pepper. Maybe if I found her before he told her the plan she could help me change his mind.

I'd heard her come home and hesitated, not knowing if it was a good idea. I didn't want to have to drag her into this, but I finally decided it was my best option and left my room.

But by the time I had made it downstairs she had already gone down into the workshop, and I didn't want to risk a run-in with Tony.

I wondered what he would say to her about what happened, or if she knew about it.

I waited at the top of the stairs, keeping quiet as I listened.

"Busted." I heard Tony say, and I wondered what else he could possibly have done.

"This is a new level of lame." She told him, and I knew he was in for it.

"Sorry." He apologized lamely.

"You are without me already? On date night?" She asked, and I raised my eyebrows. 

The audacity.

"He was just-"

"You mean you." I guessed that they were referring to the new suit that Tony could control without being in it.

"Well, yeah, I just mean we were just hosting you..."

He trailed off and she scoffed.

"While I finished up a little work."

"Uh-huh."

"And yeah, I had a quick bite. I didn't know if you were coming home or you were having drinks with Aldrich Killian."

I winced, knowing this wouldn't end well as there was a moment of silence.

Yikes.

"What?" She exclaimed defensively.

"What?" He asked casually.

"Aldrich Killian? What, are you checking up on me?"

"Happy was concerned."

"No, you're spying on me."

"I wasn't."

"I'm going to bed."

I took a step back, ready to go back up to my room before they saw me.

"Hold on. Come on. Pep?" He called after her. "Hey, I admit it. My fault. Sorry."

I heard her stop in her tracks and I leaned forward to listen, still keeping out of sight.

"I'm a piping hot mess." He admitted, and I hoped to god that this would be the moment he admitted he needed help. "It's been going on for a while. I haven't said anything."