xiii

I still hung back a little, not wanting Tony to see the tears that were nearly freezing on my cheeks as we walked. I still had no idea what was going to happen, or even if we would survive this whole mess with the Mandarin at all.

And even if somehow we did, what happened next? Our home was still destroyed, I still had these insane abilities I knew nothing about, and Tony might still send me to boarding school.

I dragged my boots through the snow although I couldn't feel my feet, the cold really setting in after the adrenaline left my system.

My ears and cheeks stung the worst, the tears not helping at all. The hood of my father's stolen sweatshirt was pulled up but it didn't help much. I was hyper aware of all the tears in my clothing as the chilled wind whipped around us. 

My teeth wouldn't stop chattering and the icy air stung my lungs, but soon enough we finally made it to a gas station up ahead.

I followed Tony a little closer, still avoiding eye contact as we approached the pay phone outside. He dropped the cables and stretched out his back before approaching a nearby statue covered with a poncho.

He took it off the statue and shook the snow away, brushing it off before walking over to me and pulling it over my head.

I frowned as he adjusted it over me, looking down at myself before back to him, still not meeting his eyes.

"But I have the sweatshirt." I told him, wanting him to use the poncho instead since all he had was a short sleeve shirt. "You should-"

"Uh-huh. And now you have this, too." He cut me off, not taking no for an answer as he finished adjusted it. He nodded to himself and stepped back, walking back to the suit.

I watched him leave, wanting things to be fixed between us before we dealt with this mess. I turned when he faced me, not trusting myself to look at him.

He propped up the suit on the outside of the phone booth and disappeared inside to call what could only be Pepper.

I pulled down my hood and held my arms to my chest, looking out into the trees as I listened to the line ring.

Stark secure server now transferring to all known receivers. The familiar synth voice spoke from the other side.

"Pepper, it's me. I've got Alex here with me, she's okay. She's safe." He spoke, and tears welled up again as I thought about her. "I've got a lot of apologies to make and not a lot of time. So, first off, I'm so sorry I put you and Alex in harm's way. That was selfish and stupid and it won't happen again."

My heart clenched and I felt awful, wishing I could take back what I said to him in the woods.

"Also, it's Christmastime and the rabbit's too big. Done. Sorry. And I'm sorry in advance because I can't come home yet. I need to find this guy. You gotta stay safe, that's all I know. And Alex..." He trailed off and I pretended not to notice him watching me. "She'll be okay. I'll keep her safe. I promise."

I missed Pepper more than I could explain, and I couldn't imagine what she must be feeling.

Tony sighed, not knowing how to end the call. "I just stole a poncho from a wooden Indian." He said, making my poke my head in.

"Native American." I corrected before he hung up.

"Ah, sorry." He apologized with a small smile as he walked out.

He grabbed onto the cables and we started back out into the cold. Not that we ever really left.

We finally stumbled into a seemingly unused shed that he headed toward. I followed closely behind, ready to get out of the snow already.