Chapter 9 HER

Alone. I haven't been alone in these woods for what feels like a lifetime. I need it now. I need to feel the presence of the trees and nothing else.

I try to slow my breathing and push the haze out of my head.

He's leaving. In six weeks, both of them will be gone. The thought is painful enough to bring me to my knees, but I force myself to keep moving. I push the pain away and focus instead on the anger. Anger is easier to deal with, and I'm not just angry, I'm furious.

I'm furious that he hasn't told me. I feel completely betrayed. I thought he was my closest friend, but how do you keep something like this from someone who's supposed to be that important to you? We have all known for half a year about my brother's plans to leave, but Drake never mentioned any interest in leaving.

This means that Gregory has been lying to me as well. He's known for who knows how long that Drake was going to go with him. Maybe he's the one who convinced him to go. And now they've told my parents. Why have I been the one kept in the dark about all this?

"Addy!" The sound of Drake's voice leaves me feeling as though all the breath has been taken from me. "Addalynne, where are you?"

I won't answer him. He can look all he wants. Today, I don't want to be found.

"Addy!"

There's distinct desperation in his voice, and a searing pain throbs in my chest. I didn't know it was actually possible to feel your heart break. My eyes burn and I swallow back the lump in my throat. Everything in me wants to answer him, but I can't. I don't think I would be able to look at him without breaking down completely.

"Addy, I know you're in here and I know you can hear me! I'm not leaving! I'll look for you all day if I have to!"

I look around for a good place to hide. There really isn't one, but walking around only makes noise, so it's not a good option. I sit down and lean my back against a large oak. Calm down. I need to calm down. I close my eyes and picture myself at the ocean. I imagine the feel of the moist breeze blowing gently across my face. I breathe in the smell of salt water and watch dolphins jump through the waves. I dig my fingers into the warm sand and wish the pain away.

The warmth of the sand sweeps across my fingers, bringing with it an instant calm. It feels incredibly real. I let out a sigh, knowing I've succeeded in pushing back the tears and gaining control. I let the ocean fade away, but the warmth and light pressure on my left hand is still there. I can't be imagining it. It's far too real.

My eyes open. Drake is next to me, leaning against the same tree, his hand on top of mine, radiating a warmth so endearing it breaks my heart. His eyes are closed, his face a blank mask. I'll never understand how he can move so silently. If I weren't so accustomed to the strong beat of his heart, I would think he was a ghost.

"Why didn't you come to me when I called you?" he asks cautiously, his eyes still closed. I don't trust myself to speak, so I wait for him to continue. "You should have come. It's not safe for you to be in here alone." He opens his eyes and turns his head toward me.

"I've been coming into these woods my entire life and nothing has ever happened. Besides, I'm going to have no choice but to come in here alone once you leave. Isn't that why you made me the dagger?" I fix my gaze on him, my eyes telling him not to lie to me.

He moves from my side and comes to a crouch directly in front of me. The green leaves of the trees blow in the breeze behind him, their trunks surrounding us like legs of giants waiting to stomp us into the ground.

His dark hair is stuck to his forehead, damp with sweat, his full lips pursed in thought, his eyebrows scrunched together in consternation. The green of his eyes is made all the more striking by the flush of his cheeks, and it's to those burning emeralds that I'm drawn now.