Chapter 16 HER

The rising sun creates a golden landscape across the sky and reflects in the glass of my slightly open window. Drake's lips are gentle against my own, his fingers twirling through my disheveled curls. I could spend my whole life kissing him and it wouldn't be long enough. Much to my disappointment, he slowly pulls away.

"Don't leave," I whisper and wrap my hands around the material of his vest. He gives me a small smile, then places his hands on my waist. He lifts me up and sets me on the ledge of my windowsill. I let my legs dangle off the side and reach out and grab his face, successfully pulling him to me. I kiss him this time, enjoying the height advantage the window has given me. He leans into me, bracing his arms on either side of my body, his hands gripping the frame of the open window. After a few seconds, he again pulls away.

"When I said I would let you try to make me forget my self-control again sometime soon, I didn't mean today," he says with a grin, his green eyes sparkling in the early morning light.

"I'll be trying to make you forget every day." I try to put on a seductive smile, knowing I'm most likely failing completely. His eyes darken slightly. Maybe I'm better at this than I thought.

"Go inside, Addalynne."

"Only if you come inside with me."

His lips part with an exhale. "No," he says, but the word has little conviction behind it. He runs his fingers through his hair. Then, he looks down at the ground and shakes his head. "I can't," he murmurs, but it's clear he's trying to convince himself, not me. He looks back up, his face flushed. "I want to . . . but I can't."

I should give up and go inside, but I'm not ready to let him leave, and he's so close to breaking.

"Yes, you can. You have been in my chambers plenty of times. Besides, if we hear anyone coming down the hallway, you can just jump back out the window." I fist my hands around the collar of his shirt and pull him to me once more. This time he doesn't let me win. He plants his feet firmly into the ground, his forward motion completely stopping. He gives me a quick, disapproving look before removing my hands from his collar and placing them back on my own lap.

"I promise I'll come back later," he says. "You need to change and rest, and I need to change and talk to my father."

"Does he know you're back?"

"He knows. But I arrived in Faygrene just as the Ball was starting and only had time to change my clothes. He was completely shocked when he saw me barge through the door and run for my loft. I was in such a rush that I didn't even try to explain anything to him"

I laugh, picturing what my uncle's face must have looked like.

He reaches forward and gently cups my cheek with his hand. "My only thoughts were of getting to you." I turn my face into his palm and place a kiss inside it.

"You promise you'll come back as soon as you can?" I hate that I'm giving in and letting him leave. But I have to. He needs to see my uncle, and we both need to change. I can't spend the entire day in my chemise, though the thought does have its appeal. Besides, I need to talk to my father, too. I need to know why he lied.

"I spent eight months away from you, and ten months not being able to hear your voice; that's long enough. I won't waste any time getting back to you, I promise." He leans in and places one last kiss on my lips.

I stay on the ledge of the window as I watch him walk away. Once I can no longer see him, I pull myself into my chambers and throw myself down on the bed. I'm exhausted, but I'm too restless to sleep. Thoughts of the conversations that I need to have with my father and with Charles have my head spinning. My mind wants me to get dressed and deal with them now, but my body is trapping me in bed. I roll over onto my side and see Drake's letters scattered on my table and floor. My father and Charles can wait. I reach down, pick up some of the letters and re-read them, letting the sound of Drake's voice lull me into the first truly peaceful sleep I've had in almost a year.