bonus chapter 001

꒰꒰ ⌗ 𝐌𝐑. 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐋𝐘 𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐄 ˊˎ

━━━ till the end, i will be here.

SERENA WALKS THROUGH the pouring rain, her black rain boots splashing the water on the ground. the parking lot is flooded with water. she looks ahead at the almost abandoned convenience store, with a rusty old sign reading copernicus convenience. the owner, a humble old man named mr. k (he refused to tell anyone his real name), used to be an astronomer, thus the name copernicus.

the parking lot, of course, is completely deserted. serena grips the umbrella handle tightly as she approaches the store. the open sign is flickering, and only the letter o is glowing. the store has been around since serena was born.

reaching in her pocket, serena checks to see if her money hasn't flown out. her twenty dollar bill is still tucked nicely in her raincoat's pocket. serena pushes open the door, hearing the bell ring as it always did. the store seemed...off. too silent.

immediately suspicious, serena closes her umbrella and sets it in the tall vase, which she assumes is for putting umbrellas (and beside, if it isn't, who would stop her?)

gingerly tugging on the silver bands on her wrist, serena cautiously walks through the store. the lights are thankfully not flickering and look fine. no one is at the cashier register. serena pursed her lips. how would she buy something if she had no way to pay?

the aisles are stocked with different products, from food to school supplies. serena looks up at the signs that label each aisle. her eyes linger on the sign reading school supplies. she walks to the school supply aisle, carefully making sure her boots make as little noise as possible. the method she uses is tiring, but she still does not feel safe.

the aisle is filled with notebooks, pens, pencils, folders, and all the other school supplies. serena walks over to the paper section. she spots a single package of beige cardstock and decides to take it off of the shelf. she checks the price — five dollars — perfect. she walks the opposite direction and picks out a pen. when she's done with the school supplies, she walks to the snacks aisle.

a box of the little mermaid fruit snacks is waiting for her. serena knows where the box is by heart. she takes her time, still rubbing her bracelets like something bad would happen at any second. serena numbly grabs the box of candy.

the colors on the box remind her so much of him. so she decides to buy it too. she is done with shopping and makes her way to the cashier registers. still, not a human can be seen in sight. serena doesn't have much time. she decides to leave the twenty dollar bill by the door (even though it was much more than she should've paid) and swiftly exits.