A Refreshing Night Stroll

Ivan shot up & looked around the room, a cold sweat rushing down his face. He was not new to incubus, having experienced the night terrors before, but this was the first time where he felt alone... usually when he had an incubus he had run to his sister, but she's gone now.

The prince looked at the cloth maiden he was clutching before he passed out before setting it down on his sheets. He was far to old to go to his parents & tell them about something as childish as the incubus he just had, so walked to his desk in an attempt to clear his mind. The attempt was futile, as he felt the tears continue to flow down his face.

After what felt like ages upon ages of thinking, Ivan had decided to try walking around the courtyard to get his mind off that horrid incubus he had. Carefully, prince Ivan crept out of his room & wandered the halls of the castle he called home. The blue & gold tapestries hanging eerily in the dark. The only guide Ivan had was the light from the stars & moon as they shined like a well-kept crystal in a dragons hoard. As Ivan inevitably passed through the throne room, he kept his head down, not daring to look at the thrones in the room. Even still he felt as if the gold-rimed seats were glaring at him with an unknown rage.

Once Ivan reached the door to the courtyard, he pushed it open & was immediately stopped in his tracks. the courtyard was filled with numerous small glow worms, some were dancing in the air whilst others were resting on leaves, looking for the right partner. The sight was foreign to Ivan as he followed the small gravel path in the courtyard. He'd never seen the glow worms above ground before, only having seen them as grub when helping the Kline's til the fields. Rosa Kline picked it up with her bare hands & re-buried it away from the field.

As Ivan walked the path, he smiled softly, gazing at the flowers that were scattered about the yard. Very few flowers were in bloom, providing some food for the moths that would come out. It was almost as if a new kingdom was born in the courtyard that night. Ants returned home with small crumbs for their queen while a small fly struggled helplessly in a spiders web. The moon was almost at its peak in the sky, indicating that Ivan had to return to his quarters before the guard began their nightly patrol.

Before Ivan returned he had heard a faint cry. Carefully making his way to the source of the cry he found a small mouse with its leg trapped under a small rock. Taking pity on the small pest, Ivan lifted the rock from the mouse's leg & picked it up. "do not worry little one, you're safe now." Ivan said, bringing the small thing to what looked to be its home. Placing it down, Ivan gently pet the small mouse before exiting the courtyard.

Ivan stumbled through the darkened corridors, barely being able to make out furniture in the halls. The light that had formerly peered through the windows was all but gone, leaving the halls to look much darker than before. Eventually, Ivan had re-entered his room & sat on his bed. 'How had I been so oblivious to the beauty of the courtyard at night...  if I hadn't seen the walls I would've thought I was a giant in a village of pixies..' Ivan thought to himself, wishing he'd seen it sooner. It was just the distraction he needed to push the incubus he had all but out of his head. As Ivan laid back on his bed, he looked at his cloth maiden & sighed, gently hugging it as he once more, drifted off.

Word count: 651