A Stray Flower

(Tw// the following chapter contains the following: feelings of replacement, hallucinations, panic attack, repression of feelings, mentions of possible arranged marriage. If you are sensitive to any of these topics please do not read. Reader discretion is advised)

Ivan exited his new sister's room, bearing a solemn smile on his face. On one end, he was gay Lorana was safer than before, the other, he felt as if his parents had just decided to replace Raven & all memories of her. The prince sighed & brushed those thoughts out of mind. He knew the decision was made, & was happy about the decision his father came to. Ivan shifted his gaze to a nearby window where the stars appeared to dance with the wind.

He watched the small white dots for what felt like hours before returning to his room, removing the small crown from his head to place on his desk. Looking at his reflection in the mirror on his desk, he noticed a single daffodil lying upon his desk. Ivan carefully lifted the small flower & examined it, noting how it appeared to have been delivered only recently. 'Who left this-' he thought, deciding to visit one of the few places that he knew would hurt.

The young prince had waited till dinner had finished, teaching Lorana grace during so, before escaping from his home's walls for the time. Using the moon & stars to guide his path, Ivan made his way to the small hill. As he walked, Ivan felt tears run down his cheeks at a small recollection.

"hey.. Raven.."
"yes brother?"
"can you promise me something?"
"what is that?"
"promise that you shall never leave me... I do not think I could bare living in a world without you sister..."
"I cannot guarantee that I shall not see our father in the heavens, but I shall do my best."
"... thank you sis..."

"liar..." Ivan whispered to himself, slowing his pace as the hill came to view. The young prince gazed upon the patches of carnation & daffodil along the slope, scanning for any beheaded stems. After finding no daffodils had been plucked Ivan had let out a sigh of relief before making his way home.

On his small journey, he felt waves of grief came over him as flashes of small his sister came to his mind. Each small memory brought a feeling of joy that was quickly consumed by grief, after a minute of memories flashing, Ivan had collapsed to the ground holding himself, tears streaming down his face. As Ivan managed to calm himself, he looked up to see her standing inches from the prince. "R-Raven? Raven, please come back... please..." The prince said, his vision began to cloud with tears as he begged. Slowly, before his eyes, Raven faded away, leaving Ivan alone. The prince stared at the spot his sister once stood, weeping & begging for his sister to return.

After what felt like hours, Ivan had felt a hand on his shoulder. Panicked, Ivan whipped his head around to see a familiar face. "A-Andreas?" he said through sobs, barely making out the dracken's face. "Your majesty... is everything alright?" the draconic man asked, kneeling down to wipe the prince's tears. Ivan clung to Andreas the second he tried to whip the prince's tears, surprising him as Ivan buried his face into the dracken.

The prince felt despond as he wept, he shouldn't be wrapped in such despair, yet he was. Andreas just looked at the man with pity & gently rubbed Ivan's back, feeling it would be inconsiderate to ask what happened. Eventually, the tears finally stop rushing down Ivan's face as the scaled man continued to try comforting him. A scabrous reality had finally reared its head to him, his sister was never coming back. She had failed to preserve her promise. Ivan had only been pulled from his mind by the voice of an acquaintance. "Your majesty, are you alright?"

"I-I believe I am.. thank you.." Ivan answered, unsure if his answer was true. The prince was expecting Andreas to ask what had happened, only to receive a surprise when he was asked if he would like to walk somewhere. Reluctantly, he agreed, unsure of what was to happen on it. Andreas smiled as he stood, assisting the prince in getting up. Once *erect, Andreas lead the prince off the dirt path & into a small clearing.

Before Ivan could speak, he felt himself being dragged to the ground. Upon contact with the ground numerous small petals were launched to the sky, dancing with the wind as the stars shined generously onto them. Ivan watched in amazement as each blue petal seemed to find a melody hidden to everyone as they blew about, a beauty those of the light never would see. The young prince sat up from the ground & scanned the field of flowers to see a lone daffodil amongst the sea of blue, & for a brief moment, Ivan forgot all worries. Every bit of grief had appeared to vanish from mind, his duties as the soon to be king had washed away & for a moment, he felt at peace.

Several minutes had passed without a word from Andreas or Ivan, the world had seemed to deafen only if for a moment. "I- I should return to the castle.. thank you for showing me this place Andreas." Ivan finally spoke, standing up before walking off, wishing the moment would last. As the prince reached the path home, he felt a warm sensation rise to his face. 'could I really- no, no no. it's all just a trick. You cannot long for him. you must choose between 6 fair maidens... this feeling is just an illusion. I will not sin... I mustn't think of such a thing.' He thought in response to this new emotion. He had a masquerade to attend soon, & would soon have a wife.

While he wished to understand this feeling, he could not help but feel conflicted. Once he reached the castle gates all thoughts of his new feeling vanished. Quietly, Ivan made his way back to his room, as if he had never left. Looking at the daffodil, he realized that he was similar to the white flower.

Both, were but a stray flower....

Word count: 1018