Chapter nine: The final task

It was here. The third task.

"You got this Harry," Hermione said. "You can do it."

"Okay, okay." Harry said. "I can do this."

"That's the spirit!" Ron said. "Let's win this tournament!"

"But what about the others?" Harry asked. "They'll do better at this than me! They know more magical things than I do!"

"Calm down Harry." Ron said. "You've got this."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You followed Hermione and Ron into the quidditch pitch. There was a giant maze in the center. You sat down and listened to what Dumbledore had to say. The champions walked onto the little place at the entrance of the maze.

"Since Harry and Cedric tied for first, they will be going first." Dumbledore announced. The Hogwarts students went wild. Cedric and Harry walked up to their entrances. Filtch let off a cannon and the two champions ran into the maze. The entrances vanished and all sight of Harry and Cedric was lost. "And now Viktor will go." Viktor walked into the maze and the leaves surrounded him. Fleur went next. You couldn't see any of the contestants. 

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sparks shot up from the maze. The maze opened up for some Hogwarts faculty to run inside. They came back out with a knocked out Fleur. They set her down next to Madam Pomphrey who started healing her.

"What happened to her?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know." You said. "She must have been attacked by something. Or someone."

"Why would one of the contestants attack her?" Ron asked.

"They could have wanted to get her out of the way." You explained. "So it would be easier to get to the center of the maze and win."

"But whoever did this, if it's a champion they still have to go through the two others."

"If I did it I would go for Harry. He doesn't know as much as Cedric or Krum." You and Hermione looked at Ron. "What? Just sayin'?" You noticed the flash of spells coming from part of the maze. You could faintly hear the yell of spells from multiple voices. Were the champions attacking each other? After a while the spells stopped and you could still faintly hear voices. What's going on in there? You thought. Is everyone okay?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The champions apparated into the circle and Cedric fell to the ground. Harry was holding the triwizard cup. He and Viktor knelt over Cedric. Karcaroff and Dumbledore walked over. Dumbledore had to pull Harry away from Cedric's body. You saw tears covering Harry's face. Amos, Cedric's father, ran down to see his son. You and Cho stood up and followed him. You knelt down next to Viktor to get a good view of Cedric.

"Cedric...?" You said. Cedric's eyes roamed to you and he smiled.

"y/n...?"

"What happened?" Cho asked Harry.

"Voldemort..." Harry said, still crying. "He's back..." Cho shoffed.

"That's not true." She said.

"It's true." Viktor said. "This, 'Voldemort' –whoever he is– is back." You looked down at Cedric.

"What did Voldemort do to Cedric?" You asked. None of the champions answered. "What. Happened. To. Cedric?"

"I-I..." Cedric said.

"Don't talk." Amos said. "You'll die quicker."

"He's going to die?" Cho choked out. Tears welled up in your eyes. Cedric's eyes were fixed on you as he wiped a tear off of your face.