Chapter 1 - Competition

He's the fucking worst.

"Can you read? We're literally scheduled right there," I point at the six o'clock slot, "Vikings (Girls)" is written messily in red ink.

"Can you?" The harsh southern drawl has my chest recoiling, the man's phone shoved into my face, "We have championships next week, coach already sent out emails about extra ice time. Maybe if you could get through the playoffs you would have the same opportunity."

"Oh seriously?" I can feel heat running up through my chest, "Sorry Dream carries your ass."

The blonde man standing behind his friend snickers for a moment before regaining his composure and offering me a look that sits somewhere between a thank you and a plea to listen to their captain.

"Look, I'm sorry, but it's our time," the brunette shrugs, waving his team beyond mine. It's a few moments before the rest of them are out of earshot, his gaze dropping back to me, "Now don't look too mad, we wouldn't want that pretty face to get stuck like that, now would we?"

"Oh go fuck yourself Sapnap," I step to the side, shoulder directed towards his, although the height between the two of us has me hitting just above his elbow.

"See ya ladies," I can hear the man say to the rest of my team, a few calling back, most staying silent.

A head of pink hair comes to my side, soft voice just loud enough for the two of us to hear, "He's a dick, and he knows it," Niki mumbles, finally a laugh leaving my mouth.

"Yeah, that's for sure," I start to head for the door before cringing and turning on my heel, "My bag. It's still in the locker room."

"I can grab it," Niki offers, my head shaking at the offer.

"They know it's mine, I'll look like a pussy," I mumble, heading towards the hallway lined with smelly rooms filled with sweaty players. Loud music is noticeable from several feet away, air settling in my lungs before grabbing the cool metal handle.

"Hey!" I shout, a poor attempt of making my entrance known, "Hello?" I try again.

"Come in," a voice shouts, I'm fairly certain it belongs to the pink haired defenseman who towers over the rest of his team.

Opening it slowly, twenty eyes immediately fall on me, half belonging to shirtless hockey players with egos bigger than the sun.

"Hey sorry, forgot my bag," my eyes trail to the captain's seat where it resides. Only problem is that there's already a captain sitting there.

"Dream, hand it to her," Sapnap mumbles, gesturing to the blue canvas bag laid in front of him.

The blonde gives me a quick nod, pulling it from the ground and walking over.

"Here," he carries it like it's nothing, a smile accompanying his soft expression. Dream leans down for just a moment, whispering so just the two of us can hear, "Sorry about him, I tried to tell him that I could handle it," he references the earlier argument in the lobby.

"All good," my eyes don't leave the ground, grabbing the gear-filled bag and slinging it over my shoulder, "See you later," I mumble, leaving as fast as I can manage.

"You should stay," Dream calls out, "Hang out after practice," he shrugs, his teammates attention being drawn even further into the conversation.

"Uh, yeah, I'll see if some of the girls will stick around," my face is burning by the time I finally escape, a howl of yells are heard as soon as the door shuts behind me.

"Bro?" I can hear a distinct voice yelling, presumably at Dream. A smile creeps on my face. Yeah, I'm definitely staying.

Practice runs late, Niki and Hannah are nice enough to stay with me, spending most of the time talking shit about the boys' skills, although we all know they could probably skate circles around us.